Eighteen

Diana is someone that you didn't want to have around the palace not because you don't like her, it was because you can't find her presence relevant since your husband only took her in for the reason that you feel entertained. But you aren't, so you wanted her out of the palace. Out of the empire if possible.

You watch her carefully as she had a conversation with your husband, you can feel her enthusiasm as she talks to Claude. Diana's eyes shone brightly whenever he replies to her nonsense, even if you want to interfere. You decided to be there at a distance observing how they exchange word with each other, your husband has his usual expression. He looked helpless as he speak, though you find it amusing. Who wouldn't?

"I just cannot believe that his Majesty likes having me here" Diana giggled, almost too sweet for your liking.

You didn't want her to be so giddy with your husband, even if you had a deal with Claude to never engage with such romance despite being married to one another. You still couldn't help but feel like it is not appropriate of him to be this comfortable with another woman, Diana too should know her place. She isn't someone you would simply let go if the poor woman decides to fulfill her plans to your husband.

Meanwhile Claude didn't pay attention to Diana's comment about his hospitality. Instead, he shook his head and turn to your direction with a timid smile in which you reciprocated with a timid one too. The blonde girl took notice of this and pursed her lips.

"Your highness" Diana called "I do not feel comfortable with your display of affection with the Empress herself."

Now this made his brow raise in whatever height it can even reach, what did she mean that she felt uncomfortable with him smiling at you? Was she insane? Probably, for her to even suggest something like that made him frown.

"You are in no position to tell me such ridiculous discomfort" Claude snapped at her, his eyes sharpened to a glare before he stood up to walk away from her. Only for Diana to take a grip of his wrist making him look back at her.

Diana looked vulnerable with her gaze pleading for his mercy, "I apologize your majesty. I did not intend to offend you for telling my discomfort, I thought I–"

"Nonsense." Claude then flicked his wrist so Diana would let go of it before he walk towards your direction with a stern expression.

You can't help but feel relieved that he didn't even try to enable Diana's behavior regarding her discomfort of the display of whatever affection she saw, Diana doesn't have to know about your true relationship with the emperor. She doesn't have to know that you're in a loveless marriage, that Claude is only fulfilling his duty as a husband to you and nothing more.

Your chest tightened at the thought of being stuck in such a marriage, your heart ached for a true marriage, where a man would love you for who you are and not the benefits that followed you, where a man could hold you with such love and comfort without having to think that it may not be real, where you don't have to pretend for the sake of your people. Where you can be actually happy, because you deserve that after sacrificing all of your life studying about how to be a perfect ruler for your country.

How great could it be to have a loving husband? You wouldn't know, but at least Claude is doing well with taking care of you. He didn't fail as a husband these days, and you pray that he won't ever. Because that's the only thing keeping you sane in this palace, nothing more.

"Is something wrong?" you ask him in a soft voice, eyes looking at his in concern as you place your hand over his cheek.

Such a warm gesture, Claude could sigh and lean more to your touch if it weren't for the fact that he should maintain his composure around you. After all, he's only doing his part as a husband. To give you a life of peace and order, to have you happy even if there isn't any love involved between you and him. Claude never like getting married, and only did it for convenience of his Empire. But learning your background made him change his mind about caring for you, after Felix explained to him how you were supposed to be the empress of your country and not the other way around.

Claude immediately understood your situation and why you feel so lost everytime he sees you walking down the hallways before, he thought it was only just a mere walk with a thought. But now that he knew of your past, Claude made sure to prioritize your health before his. He changed his mind about pretending to be affectionate with you, he won't do it for the people to see anymore. But to make sure that you feel safe in his palace.

To make you feel secure inside his premisses, you've been through a lot and he didn't want to ruin your experience in the palace more because of his decisions. That's why he's close to you everytime.

"Nothing" Claude answers your question "I simply did not like her implication regarding us."

Ah, right. Diana did voice out her discomfort earlier which made you snort in at the thought, what did she even thought when she said that? Did Diana really think that she could just say whatever she wants because Claude was the one who wanted to take her in the palace before?

Your gaze narrowed where Diana was sitting and sigh, you didn't really know what her intentions are despite the obvious displays of her trying to ridicule you. She did not think of it properly, you were an Empress of an entire empire. The wife of a Tyrant as people call him, yet she decided that it was fine to voice her discomfort towards Claude. Who is known to kill whoever ruin his life, may it be his loveless marriage or his country.

The only thing Claude cares about is your well-being and his duties.