Seventeen

"Were they always like that?" Diana questioned the maids that were attending her aid after she purposely shattered a vase to call in Claude's attention, only for her to fail miserably so.

Her ruby eyes had a hint of anger in them as she tries to stay calm for the sake of her reputation here in the palace, as she couldn't just be mad at everyone in the palace. Diana knows how to handle her emotions, and when she broke that vase no one ever tried to suspect of her being such a violent woman. Instead, the maids thought of it as a mere clumsiness of the woman.

Diana watch the maids finish their work, cleaning every bit of the glass until there was none left that could injure her in such ways. But even with that fact, she still manage to feel envious about your relationship with the emperor. You were his wife after all, you have no flaw in the people's eyes. Everyone likes you, even your husband takes care of you dearly like you were loved by him. So she couldn't really get anything aside from a small attention, Claude isn't interested with concubines or mistresses which is a dreadful fact that she learned after staying there.

The maids finished cleaning up the mess Diana made and went on their ways to do whatever chores were left for today, it's also painfully obvious that they're having some doubts regarding what happened. But who were they to say something? It'll just be a gossip later on in the kitchen area only for the staffs to hear.

•••

"It is not the outcome that I was expecting"

You mutter to yourself after seeing Claude in a more comfortable clothing than his royal ones, you hummed in satisfaction at this and lift your finger into a turn around motion for him to follow. In which Claude did and you just smiled at the results.

"You seem to fit any type of style my grace" you told him which made Claude hum in slight agreement, he still doesn't believe it but since it was you telling him that then he doesn't have anything to doubt.

You were good at fashion there was no doubt, and Claude was someone who'd fit into such concepts people would throw at him. He was just that good.

His eyes watch your satisfied figure, it was quite endearing that you were up to such things even if the both of you don't have any romantic intentions with one another. To be this casual meant a lot to him, at least you were open and that's what matters. Unlike your first few months in the palace, you were too alarmed for your own good.

But now you were quite having fun with whatever you can with him, your smile said a lot.

"What kind of husband am I if my wife cannot dress me to such things that pleases her?"

What a way for him to make such words, you could only blush at how arrogant he was.

You were luckily aware that your husband only said that to make you feel delighted of the result, not to flatter you in a romantic way. If you were someone else, they would have thought the opposite. Which is good if someone saw them like this, but who would see them aside from the maids who are there in a distance to assist their majesties?

To be a happily married couple without any hint of romance or something is weird, but for a royal family. It is more than normal, as all of them have to marry for the sake of their countries. Trade was important no matter what it is, should it cause a mere dime? Should it cause the goods of their country? Or the flesh and blood of an empire's ruler? The choices are there, and of things go bad. A marriage would be pushed, which happened with you and Claude.

Satisfying each country is hard, especially when a single mistake can cause a lot of lives. Wars would uptake and it wouldn't be nice for the poor, those who are noble can easily hide themselves into a better home. Those who are in the unfortunate life, what would happen to them if it does occurs? They would die, it doesn't matter if they're young and old. They'll still die no matter what.

While the royalties can be sent off somewhere with all of the security they can have, you could only conclude how life is unfair to those in misfortune.

Your eyes looked at the pleasant looking man in front of you, feeling somehow lucky despite being unfortunate enough to be thrown away by your own family without anything left for you but a stupid surname and blood from them. Claude has been your husband who fortunately did all his duties to you as promised.

He took care of you when your parents couldn't, Claude made sure that you were taken care of instead of getting belittled. He made sure that his people will respect you no matter what, after the incident months ago. The emperor became another person, Claude became more open and warm towards you.

"Your majesty" you called for him in which he hum in acknowledgement "How necessary is Lady Diana in the palace?"

You watch as Claude stiffen in his stance, his eyes a bit wide for the sudden answer. He couldn't help but think about Diana's relevance in the palace, sure he find her fit for the role to entertain you whenever she can. But Diana isn't even trying to make such contact with you in which he find it suspicious but understandable at the same time.

"Is she not to your liking?" he asked you in thought, his brow raised upon waiting for your answer.

You simply shrug your shoulders to him, "Even I myself do not know, but I am guessing his highness likes her somehow. Do you find her interesting, my husband?"

Oh that name, husband. Such an endearing word, but is he even deserving to be called as one?

Claude looked into your bored eyes, his gaze intense as if it was looking for something.