Sixteen

Whatever happens between you and Diana in the palace would only end up badly for one of you, may it be a tragic divorce for you and a happy ending for her or Diana has to be thrown out of the Obelian empire by your husband and it'll be your silent victory.

Now it wasn't that you wanted the woman out of your life, but considering the way she handles herself in current situations here in the palace made you wonder about it. Diana is very happy around Claude, she isn't going anywhere without him on sight and it made you think that something's going on in that pretty little head of hers. Although Claude would rather spend his time alone or with you, she'd do anything for him to be in her aid which had you irritated for awhile.

Others would say that you're jealous, but you shrug that thought off because it was ridiculous for you to envy some commoner who your husband only invited in the palace to entertain you if he's out and about. But that woman had other things in mind instead of entertaining you, she went to hog Claude's attention instead. You wanted to yell at her for being so clingy around him, you wanted to punish her behavior.

But of course you wouldn't, you couldn't do that to Claude's grand guest. All you can do is watch the scene unfold before you and act like it doesn't affect you at all.

"Her majesty seems to be in deep thoughts" one of the noble ladies from another country voiced out her concern which made you snap out of your clouded thoughts.

Your eyes immediately found themselves looking at the lady who looked nervous, fear was evident on her face and it made you smile at the lady gently to ease her anxiety.

"I apologize for my poor etiquette" you told her and the others, which got you a compliment from them for being so humble. "You don't have to worry about me not listening to the conversation, I will pay attention until the end of our tea session."

They simply thanked you for being so understanding and polite, it sucks hearing compliment to compliment when all you did was the bare minimum. Were they desperate enough to gain your trust and attention? Maybe, since you're the Empress after all. They would, of course, try to be under your favor so that they could survive this high society.

Which is quite unfortunate on their part, as you don't entertain such possibilities with them. As much as you want to have a life and gain allies, they weren't enough to back you up in case Claude does something out of your control. Some of them were good enough, but they were leeches. No one on the room were good enough for you to trust, so you sat there with a small smile on yourself while paying attention to their conversations.

It was weird to hear these ladies talk about the recent happenings in their own homes, trends, issues, plans. There weren't any talk about politics, only chit chats about their extravagant life as a noble. Some were even gossips, but that didn't caught your attention until one of the noble ladies had the bravery to even ask you such questions.

"Your Highness" Lady Eury called you in a gentle voice. Her eyes were sparkling in curiosity which made you respond to her quickly.

"There's been a rumour about your marriage with the Emperor, people talked about how there is another woman living in the palace who is not even a maid. But a woman sticking around his highness, is that true my lady?"

Her question caught you off guard, your hand froze in place due to the fact that there is already a rumour about Diana's stay here in the palace and her behavior towards your stoic husband who doesn't even put some efforts of entertaining the poor woman. Your head started to ache in annoyance of the situation but still pulled a smile for them to see.

What a nuisance, Lady Diana.

"I suppose that part of the rumour is true" you slowly revealed to them and the others gasp in surprise "But I assure you that my husband His Majesty does not entertain such things as adultery if that is your concern."

"She is only invited by His Majesty for my sake when he's out without me, I believe that his actions are quite sweet considering about how others view him."

The ladies swooned at the mention of Claude's treatment towards you, they weren't even trying to meddle further and praised Claude for being loyal and loving towards you. While you on the other hand wondered on how the hell was he loving just by doing his duties as a husband and emperor? You didn't understand these women, they were all so happy about something that's supposed to be done. But you guess it's because of the fact that only a few high society couple– especially prince and princesses– that are put into an arranged marriage can be civil and kind towards their partner, that's why they're acting this way.

Maybe this way is also nice, to have them praise you and your husband for being such a good couple towards each other. This way, they'd talk about it and spread the word around the globe.

This only made you smile in triumph once all of them left and bid farewell as they left the palace, you were finally alone with the knights when you saw Claude approaching you from afar.

"Your Grace" you called in surprise, the maids just told you that he was out to check the town for any threat since the palace received a letter regarding an interruption from a dark magic messed around the town.

And now, he's suddenly back when his trusted knight told you that he'd be back later night.

Claude finally stopped right in front of you with his usual expression, cold and stiff. His eyes found itself staring at yours intently before he finally spoke.

"How was your tea party with the other noblewomen?" Your brow raised at his inquiry but you answer him nonetheless.

"It went well" was all you could muster up, your eyes looking around except for him since you didn't feel like looking at Claude would do you any good.

The blonde Emperor simply hummed as he pay no mind at your behavior towards him. Instead, he grabbed you by the waist and whispered something to your ear.

"Shall we go inside, wife?"

It made your heart flutter for a moment, but you didn't even entertain that positive feeling since you didn't want it to develop over something you'd regret sooner.

"We shall" you answer him with a faint smile before letting him guide you towards the palace with his hand still placed around your waist.

Little did you know, a jealous Diana was looking at the both of you walking inside the palace from the window of her room. Her eyes watched in anger, not for Claude.

But for you.

————

Note:

Hello, I just wrote this note to share some things to all of you. I have been trying to update this as much as possible along with my other piece since finals is coming up, and I'm in college so it isn't easy to review.

And no, I'm not going on hiatus if that's what you guys are thinking. I'm just going to announce that I might have slow updates once in awhile because I'll be busy for the month.

Also, I created a Tumblr account to start a writing journey there along with opening a commission for writing desired fics exclusively for those who commissioned it.

Which means I'll be expanding my writing platform, I'll also be writing in Tumblr.

Well, that's all I have to say. Have a wonderful night everyone! And have a wonderful day for those who are in a different country!