18

Emiko 18,

Two months before the accident.

I'm sure it's around two something when I hear rustling just outside of my tent.

My dad had taken me, mom and Meadow out to the lake house for summer vacation. I had just graduated no more than a month ago and Meadow was looking to further her education. This was supposed to be the second half of our reward for all of our accomplishments.

This also meant we got to spend more time with dad since he usually disappears for months at a time for work.

We didn't come here often but when we did I fully enjoyed it. I loved taking our boat out and swimming in the lake, eating bbq until my heart's content, and catching a deep tan under the sun. This place was like paradise and on top of that it was beautiful, similar to a fairytale book.

Vines had grown up the side of the old wooden house, lush green grass and lavender covered the landscape while massive trees towered over and shaded most of the land. Birds chirped away, butterflies gathered and while there weren't many dragons in the north every so often we'd see a few flying about.

The first two days we spent that time together, where dad had taken me and Meadow out to shoot.  We kept our sights set on the old soda cans and glass beer bottles where he allowed me to throw back a shot when mom wasn't looking. After we had done some kayaking and went fishing.

The Saigoni's showed up on day three with a couple of close family friends. Everything had been going by normally, I spent most of my time around my sister, Summer, and Eden. We'd take the boat and swim in the lake, catch up on gossip and besides the holiday we'd share stories about our year apart.

With me being with the girls for the most part I barely got the chance to hang out with Akeno. The last time we had spoken was over the phone. He'd told me all about how his dad had been taking Eli and him across Unity in order to prepare the two of them for the throne. Either one of them would be crowned in the upcoming years allowing Juko to retire from his position. They just needed to be married and willing.

Akeno had also told me all about him and his girlfriend breaking up. He didn't really sound bothered by it and kind of glossed over it when I asked.

That was two months ago and since then it's been radio silence.

Now that Akeno was here he had been more reserved than usual.

When Eli came up with the great idea of camping all of the teens, including Akeno and Eli's friends decided to set up tents a little ways from the lake house. After a day filled with dragon riding and swimming we retired by a bonfire to tell scary stories. Eventually everyone got tired and one by one did everyone head to their respective tents for some much needed rest.

Now I'm being woken up by movements outside my tent and I'm too tired to care if it's a bear or intruder. I blink, my eyes rolling to the back of my head. It still feels like I'm underwater and it nearly washes over me like a wave and rocks me back to sleep. Only before my brain can shut down a shadow appears over my tent.

I lift my head and squint my eyes before the front flap of my tent opens and a head ducks inside..

We stare at each other and my stomach does a flip. "Hi." I smile before it drops. Now I'm annoyed. "You never fail to bother me while I'm trying to get some rest."

"I didn't want to sleep alone tonight." He smiles and tilts his head. "Can I come in?"

"Sure." I grumble fixing my pillow before laying my head back down.