19

Akeno 24,

Jamie nearly swerves off the road, the wheel skids the pavement with a loud screeching sound while my fist clench around the arm rests to grip in support. It either that or fly out the fucking windshield and risk breaking my neck. The truck comes to a harsh stop with a rock and my back hits the seat with a light thud.

I glare at the idiot who sends me a sheepish smile, "my bad bro. This hanging over is really beating my ass."

It was nine in the morning and even though I wanted to do nothing more than spend the next couple hours in bed, I had shit to do. I unfortunately don't get the privilege of lounging around when I have to spend my days getting back into work with dad and figure out my current issue.

I shake my head, rubbing at the light stubble on my chin when the truck kicks back into gear. Jamie's still driving fast but this time he has more control. "I told you not to drink so much. We have to meet up with Gray and if we fail to show..."

"It gets back to father."

I grimace, taking the cigarette out my ear to slip between my lips. I roll it around with my teeth while my thumb continues to flick at the end of my silver skull lighter. "Don't fucking call him that."

"We don't even know his name," Jamie glances at me. "What else am I supposed to call him if that's what everyone else does?"

"We can stick with him for now. By the time this is all blows over we'll have everything we need to know about him. Name, age and whatever fucking cesspool he crawled out of." I stare out the window watching the green scenery pass in a blur.

Most of Unity was built surrounding and going up the mountains. This meant if any one settlement decided to attack us it would be easier to defend. Knowing the layout of the land was important and considering the fact we had all kinds of wildlife it made the landscape difficult to navigate if you weren't familiar.

Between the land, the wild animals and dragons always lurking around it would be insane if someone did attempt to invade.

"Are you sure you want to go through with this?" Jamie questions, drumming his thumbs along the steering wheel. "Every time I think about it I get this bad feeling in my gut. I know for a fact the reason is hidden in our memories."

Jamie lost his memory too, I asked him if he's been able to recall anything and for the most part he's drawn up a blank. It's frustrating and leaves us with a huge blind spot in our plan. We still have no idea who these people are or why we are serving them. Only if we don't my entire family would be endangered. He wouldn't hesitate in picking off each and every single one of them one by one. Not until he got exactly what he wanted out of me.

"We need to play it cool for now. Let them think that we're actually trying to complete the mission, until then we stick to my plan."

"Your plan is either going to go one of two ways." Jamie shifts driving around some of the broken up pavement as we skirt through a hidden exit past the border. "Backfire and we die or we all die."

"There's only so much we can do for now. We just need to sit still until I can make my next move." I mess around with the lighter again. Flicking it on and off, watching the flame catch blue before disappearing again.

"So what? I'll just be chilling in your family's castle until then? Don't get me wrong I don't mind living in luxury for the time being but all this waiting around is making me anxious. He's watching us, I can feel it. I'm constantly looking over my shoulder waiting for something to happen."

"Speaking of watching, I have a job for you." I announce, sitting up in my seat. "We've already been made aware that he'll be keeping an eye on our every move for the time being..."