Chapter 10 (East Blue Saga)

Usopp furrowed his brow, "Bellemere? So you're saying she raised both you and Nami?"

Nojiko nodded, "That's right. She did. But I suppose I should start at the beginning."

Ki took a seat on the ground beside Sanji as the woman briefly described her adoptive mother. She was an ex marine that chose to devote her life to the girls when Nami was just an infant. A tall slender woman with fuchsia colored hair, worn in a Chelsea style Mohawk. Nojiko mentioned that once Arlong and his crew took control of the island he began charging every household a tax per person, just to be alive. Ki gritted her teeth when the woman began to stammer with her words. She sighed and continued by sharing the tragic fact that Bellemere was killed defending her daughters because she didn't have enough money. Following that grizzly event, Nami was taken under Arlong's wing to draw maps for him.

Nojiko sighed, "To make a choice like that, when you're only ten years old. Do you know how hard that must have been?"

Usopp scrunched his brows, "All for the village she loves so much."

Sanji burst out, "Ahhh! Whoever makes Nami suffer is gonna hear from me!"

Before Ki could swat at the man, Nojiko slammed her fist into the cook's cheek. The blonde cried out, "Why'd you do that?"

The tattooed woman frowned, still clenching her fist, "Because, I'm telling you to stay out of it. If you go around saying she's your friend, they're going to become suspicious of her. Then her 8 years of suffering will have been for nothing. Don't make it harder than it already is. She has to fight alone. Knowing there are people who call her friend only makes the suffering worse."

Nojiko left them with their thoughts as she walked back to the village. Ki pulled her knees up to her chest in thought, 'No wonder she hates pirates. Not like any really gave her a reason not to.'

Usopp's cheerful attitude tore her from her thoughts, "Alright, let's go meet up with Luffy as soon as possible," He turned and frowned at the unmoving cook, "Huh? Hey, Sanji? What are you doing?"

Sanji sighed, "I'm appreciating happiness."

The sniper raised an eyebrow, "Wait, what are you talking about?"

The cook smiled, "Nami has had to live with way more suffering than any normal person," He lit his cigarette and blew out smoke,"Right now, I'm making a lot of good vibes so I can send them her way."

Ki smiled as she got to her feet, "I agree. We need to try to be as supportive as we can be at this point."

Usopp rolled his eyes, "I bet that's not the only thing on that 'love cook's' mind."

Sanji stood and glared at the sniper, "I'm trying to fight for a beautiful person, is there something wrong with that?"

Usopp raised his eyebrows, "That's not right at all! This is supposed to be about Nami and her entire village."

Ki patted the sniper's shoulder, "Just be glad he's helping, no matter the reason. We just need to get going. Before Luffy tries to take on that whole crew on his own."

Zoro pushed himself off the ground with the sheath of his sword, "Yeah, enough bickering. Let's go."

They quickly made their way into the village, following the sounds of the angry villagers getting louder. They split off from each other, ending up on the dirt path with Luffy and Nami.

Ki stood speechless behind the copper-haired woman on the ground and her brother standing behind her. She flinched as Nami began screaming 'Arlong,' and she repeatedly stabbed the tattoo on her shoulder. Finally Luffy stepped forward and snatched the woman's wrist before she could land another blow.