Chapter 7

John B was arrested for the murder of Sheriff Peterkin. Only we knew that it was a false accusation, but who would ever believe us, as Ward has all of Kildare wrapped around his finger. Including my dad.

We went to the arraignment a few days later. Both Sarah and I got some dirty looks for sitting next to the Pogues, rather than sitting near our dads. But we didn't care. We knew what really happened and that Rafe was truly guilty. It made all of us sick to our stomachs to watch John B stand there, handcuffed and in an awful shade of orange. He had a black eye as a result of Thomas punching him. 

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statute section 14," The judge said as the gavel struck. "You are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty." She finished as she struck the gavel again. 

We all gasped. The entire courtroom broke out into murmurs. Sarah burst into tears of shock. I looked over at JJ and Pope, who were looking around the room in anger. As I turned to look over at my dad on the other side of the room, I saw Ward Cameron sitting there, numb. He then got up from the bench and softly smiled. I wanted to smack the smile off of his guilty face right then and there.

"Your Honor, he's seventeen." JJ shouted, as he stood up.

"Stop." Pope muttered.

"Quiet." The judge ordered. 

"He's seventeen. Are you kidding me?" JJ continued, as Pope started pushing him out of the courthouse. 

"Bailiff!" The judge added, as John B started being escorted out of the courtroom.

"Hey, John B, we're gonna figure it out." JJ shouted, as he looked over to John B. 

"John B! John B!" Sarah cried, as she started moving against the crowd towards him. He turned back to look at her, but was forced to exit the room.

"Sarah!" Kie started, as she ran after her. "Sarah!" She continued, as a security guard met Sarah and started pushing her away from John B.

"John B! No!" Sarah cried.

"Stop! Don't touch her." Kie snapped to the security guard, as she grabbed Sarah's arm. "Let's go, Sarah. Let's get out of here." Kie said, as she dragged Sarah back towards the boys and I, and we headed out of the courtroom. 

As we walked out of the courthouse, we heard people muttering amongst themselves.

Justice is served.

He had it coming. 

"Is this a joke?" Kie scoffed. "Like, are we in hell or...?" 

"I should've never come home." Sarah whimpered. 

"They're gonna kill him, guys. I know it." JJ sighed. 

"I'm so sorry for what you and your family have gone through." We heard Hugh Stevens, a Kook banker, say to Ward and Rose Cameron. "Thank God the system works." He continued, as he, the Camerons, and my dad walked out. 

"Can you please shut up?" Kie snapped, stopping all of them in their tracks. "Of course you think the system worked because it was made to protect people like you."

"He will have his day in court. A jury will decide." Mr. Stevens replied.

"He shouldn't even be in court!" Kie cried. "You should, 'cause you're a murderer." Kie added, as she pointed to Ward. "You have a lot of nerve showing up to court." 

"There is no need for false accusations, Kiara." My dad started.

"False accusations?" I shrieked. "You're being paid money to lie for him!" I continued, as I pointed to Ward.