Chapter 5

The next morning, we got up and finished the drive to Charleston. 

As we drove across the bridge, JJ sighed and looked out the window. "I wonder where John B and Sarah are right now." I looked over at Kie and gave a hopeful smile.

As we drove into the heart of Charleston, we reviewed what we knew of the Limbrey family.

"Yeah, they're a bunch of fancy people. They've had, like, three governors in the family." Kie scoffed. They've run Charleston for, like, three hundred years." 

We then turned onto King Street and arrived at the address. We we all in awe of the house before us.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues." JJ muttered. We all stared at the house. "You sure this is the right place, Pope?" 

"Pretty sure." Pope replied, as he hopped out of the car, cautious. 

"Alright." JJ sighed, as he hopped out of the other side, opening the door for Kie and I. "Fat City, for sure." JJ muttered. 

"27 King Street." Pope sighed, as he double checked the address to the letter. 

"Talk about home security." JJ chuckled, as we looked up at the 10 feet tall iron gates surrounding the house. "Are those spikes to keep people out?" JJ said, as we looked at the rigid spikes at the top of the gates. 

"No." Kie sighed. 

"The slave quarters are over there." Pope added. "These spikes were to keep people in."

Once we made our way to the front porch, Pope knocked on the door. The knocks echoed loudly. 

"You think that was too much?" Pope sighed, as he looked over at us. 

"It echoed the entire house. That's for sure." JJ replied. "So they definitely heard it."

"Maybe no one is home." I suggested, a slight bit of fear in my voice. Pope started knocking again. 

Just then, a man answered the door. 

"You must be Pope." He said, with a snarky smile, as he pointed at Pope. 

"Um... are you Mr. Limbrey?" Pope replied, shyly. 

"Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday." The man replied.

"Oh. I'm... I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here." Pope started.

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowheresville." JJ added. The man shot a look at JJ. "Sorry about that." 

"Yeah, she was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up." The man continued. 

"We tried to call, but there's no number on the invitation." I added. 

"We got here as fast as we could." Kie chimed in.

"She also expected you to come alone." The man replied. 

"I mean, these are my friends. They helped find the Royal Merchant too. I--" Pope started, as he looked at each of us.

"Yeah, the instructions were explicit. Your friends can stay outside." The man sighed. 

"We're kind of a package deal, man." JJ started. 

"JJ. It's okay. I got this." Pope muttered, looking over at JJ. "I'll be good." He added, as he looked at Kie and I.

"Yeah. We'll be right here." Kie replied. 

"Keep the car running." Pope whispered. Kie nodded, as she reached down and squeezed his hand. We watched as Pope walked inside and the man closed the door behind them.