Untitled Part 2

A while later, Tim noticed how quiet Lucy was. She sat straight, always focused on her surroundings, even when he tried to distract her. She was unflinchingly alert, her eyes constantly scanning, as if she was always on high alert. At lunch, the Training Officers (TOs) sat at one table while the rookies gathered at another.

"So, how are your rookies?" Angela asked, looking around the table. "Mine's old," Nyla Harper said, and Angela laughed. "Yours?" Angela asked Tim as she took a bite of her salad. "She's... she's okay. She doesn't show any emotion and is always concentrated. It's weird," Tim admitted. "So, we have another Bradford, then?" Angela quipped, prompting a chuckle from Nyla. Tim sighed. "No, it's different. With me, it's more about discipline and control. With her, it feels like she's carrying some heavy baggage. She's too serious for her age." Nyla leaned in. "What do you mean?" "She's always on edge, like she's expecting something bad to happen. It's more than just being a good cop. It's like she's in survival mode all the time," Tim explained. Angela nodded thoughtfully. "Maybe she's got a past she's running from. Have you talked to her about it?" Tim shook his head. "Not yet. I figured I'd give her some time to settle in before I start digging into her personal life. "Well, keep an eye on her," Nyla advised. "Sometimes the ones who seem the toughest are the ones who need the most help." Tim nodded. "Yeah, I will."

As lunch wrapped up, Tim couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to Lucy than met the eye. He resolved to get to know her better and find out what was driving her relentless focus and stoicism. Back on patrol, he observed her more closely, looking for any clues that might hint at her past or what she was trying to protect herself from.- After the shift, Tim still had no idea why Lucy was so guarded and emotionless. He decided to let it go, at least for now. Tim knew from his own experiences that when someone behaves like that, it often means they've been through something significant and traumatic. He also understood that people who have been through such experiences often want to bury those memories deep down, trying to forget them. As they walked back to the station, Tim glanced at Lucy. She maintained her stoic expression, her eyes scanning their surroundings with the same intensity as always. He admired her dedication but worried about the toll it might be taking on her.

"Good work today, Chen," he said, trying to open a line of communication without prying too much. "Thank you, sir," she replied, her voice steady and neutral. Tim sighed inwardly. He wanted to help her but knew that pushing too hard could backfire.- He decided to build trust first, to show her that he was someone she could rely on. Back at the station, as they were about to part ways, Tim stopped her. "If you ever need to talk, about anything, my door's always open." Lucy nodded. "I appreciate that, Officer Bradford."

With that, she walked away, leaving Tim to wonder about the walls she had built around herself. He resolved to be patient. Building trust takes time, especially with someone who has clearly learned to rely only on themselves. In the following days, Tim kept a close eye on Lucy. He watched her interactions with others, noting how she kept everyone at arm's length. She was competent, no doubt about it, but there was an air of isolation about her that concerned him. One evening, after a particularly tough shift, Tim saw Lucy sitting alone in the break room, staring at her coffee. He hesitated for a moment, then walked over and sat down across from her.

"Rough day?" he asked. Lucy looked up, her guard momentarily slipping. "Yeah, you could say that." Tim nodded. "You know, when I first started, I used to think I had to carry everything on my own. It took me a while to realize that it's okay to lean on your team." Lucy was silent for a moment, then she sighed.