Leslie

The Sterlin prince was like a vanity of old wine, something you’d find yourself willing to drink but hesitate to have the first taste.

I’d watch him under the school’s oak tree, I didn’t have anyone to spend my time with, so it made much sense that I’d just sit and watch people go back and forth with their lives while I enjoyed my lunch away from the cafeteria King, away from the student body and slightly closer to the Lacrosse team and their cheer squad.

Though I can say I have been lucky to have not drawn attention to myself for the past 3 months since I arrived, I still had to navigate my way around the school and away from the school. I had therapy and a few court trials to attend, and my sister’s husband was not against me going to school a week after they pulled me out of that hell hole. They had convinced me that it was a good if not great start, not just being out of there but also to meet new people and form a life for myself.

“How do you like school?’’ her question broke through the silence at dinner.

“okay” I replied, it hasn’t been long since her phone rang, and they told her they have her sibling sister.
Or has it been, and time just seems to be moving slower on my side.

“Therapy?”

“That too” the short questions went on and on until she didn’t have any anymore.

I did the dishes; their house was quiet. Like no one had been home but we were, all three of us just talking in whispers. I retired to bed earlier but funny enough I never slept until 2 hours before I have to be walking down the halls and up the stairs. Like that was the only thing my fragile frame could do with 30 minutes of sleep.

There’d be nights where I’d sleep sound but then again, those nights were only those that the pills allowed me to steal back from the night terrors.

The crack of dawn came, and my alarm rang with me staring at the pills by my bed stand, I got up and quickly rushed off to the bathroom then quickly got into my bedroom locking the door then sat on the bed until the appropriate time came for me to go to school.

I had told the therapist that I was improving, we cannot say I lied. I eat more in a day now and..and well I talk. I talk with Lisa and Frank when I come from school and that’s enough isn’t it?

Author note:
Short prologue but worth the read, come right in.