Leslie

“This boy… are you okay with having him around?”

My therapist asked as I told her about Isaac, I needed to know something, but I couldn’t just blurt it out there.

“He’s okay.”

“You’re not uncomfortable with having him around?”

“He frightened me three times in 1 day. He looks at me when he’s not by my side and when he is by my side, he holds my hand and arms while he leans to my height and talks to me.”

“And how do you feel about that?”

“Nothing, I did get annoyed at first but now it’s like… I’m getting used to it. Is it fair that he hasn’t been around me for even more than two weeks, but I think about him?”

She made a tiny professional smile and wrote down in her book.

“I’d say you’re okay, what do you think?”
I nodded in agreement and my mind quickly ran to him.

“I think I’m okay too.” I said bringing my train of thoughts back.

“How are things at home?”

“Warm.”

And she nodded writing down again, when my appointment ended. I got out to meet Lisa as she followed behind me.

“Can I have a moment with you?”

The therapist said to my sister as we stood by the door, while she held my hands after pulling me into a hug.

She nodded and followed behind her while I waited. She’s never missed an appointment so she could squeeze me into a hug and tell me I was doing great.

“I knew I know this face.” The voice rose from behind me and I jumped making a fist out of my hands trying to hold myself into place.

“Oh shit, I am so sorry. Are you okay?”

I kept my head down as I tried to regain my senses; his hand reached for my chin, and he made me look up at his face.

“You’re okay.” He assured me and I blinked.

He was right, I was okay. I had everyone who was willing to keep me safe with me.

I’m okay. I am not going to go through anything like that again, I’m okay. He pulled me to him and slammed me into a hug and just held the two of us.

“Why do you cry so much?” He asked not awaiting a reply.

I exhaled and closed my eyes, feeling some form of relief. Someone cleared their throat and I opened my eyes pulling myself from him. I kept my head down and as usual my hoodie up and wiped my tears.

“Ms Marshall.” He happily said and there was a little silence and I looked up.

His eyes were stuck on the door label behind Lisa then he turned to look at me keeping that same smile, but his eyes said something else.

“Isaac, right?” He looked back at my sister and gave her a nod.

“Are you rushing anywhere? Lez and I were about to go eat before I took her back home.”

My eyes ran to her.

What was she doing? I’ve never eaten out before; I wasn’t ready then and I am not now.

But I don’t say anything, instead I look back down.

“I’d love to come but I must talk to dad and plead my case. Mom told him I failed the quiz, and he isn’t happy.”

“Oh, your dad is a doctor?”

“Yes. He’s a surgeon. Hardly can make it to dinner but has plenty of time to focus on my grades and life from my mother’s perspective. We’re a happy family though.”

He overshares, I could never do it but it’s like a natural habit to him and maybe anyone who has had a normal life.

“So- will see you two tomorrow, I’m coming over before I go to practice. I’m in the lacrosse team.” He gestured to my sister and pat me in the head because it’s a habit of his before walking away.

My sister chuckled and I looked at her, had he no shame?

“I totally get why Frank found the two of you funny.  You really look like you’re done.”

After the long day, I went to bed early but instead I didn’t sleep. My mind ran a marathon as I thought about that look, he had given me which I couldn’t figure out. The smile, it looked the same but it’s his eyes. What they were saying is what had me puzzled. I cram my head a lot on it that I dozed off unexpectedly before jumping awake from a nightmare. I reached for the tablets as soon as I realised it is still 9 at night. I tossed and turned for a few moments and then I was out cold.

Over the course of the week Isaac and I had been studying together. It’s not like I had a choice to complain he dragged me everywhere he went lately but it was never to the crowded spaces.

I think a lot of people had noticed that we were spending most of our time together, I’d get the eyes from time to time but luckily for me my hoodies were big enough to consume me and my thoughts so I wouldn’t see the stares and I would be too deep in my head to hear any whispering.