Leslie and Isaac

I didn’t have it in me to go to school, but I allowed myself to because I wasn’t going to let my past define the person I wanted to be. At the back of my mind, it haunted me, but I wasn’t going to let it swallow me whole.

Lisa dropped me off after asking a lot of times if I was going to be okay. I walked to my locker and even though I paged the novel, I couldn’t see a part where Elinor had to face the demons of her past while living her present. I couldn’t find a part that gave my mind any sense of rest at all. Isaac was nowhere to be found; he’d usually be by my locker telling me what his thoughts were, what he dreamt and asking if I ate, if I slept well and if I loved him as much as he loved me.

I blinked a tear as I abandoned the hallway and walked into the first class. He was there, his face rested on the table while he faced my side of the desk. I went to seat down; I carefully placed my books and watched him on the laboured time. He had EarPods in, and the music was almost audible to the person nearby.

His hand reached out for one and he gave it to me.

“I don’t listen much to music, but I woke up and I had this song stuck in my head.”

He sat straight up and pecked my lips, giving me a soft smile.

“I love you so much, that I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t.”

He planted a kiss on my forehead and patted my head.

“I don’t think my heart can take it. It was already acting weird at the thought that you weren’t coming to school today. I think I have developed an aggressive form of love and I believe I might self-destruct if you were to leave me.”

I burst into an emotion of chaotic joy and tears.
There were people in class with us, the teacher was also there listening to a love declaration from a boy who just reached for a red rose in his pocket. I quickly took it, wiping my tears trying not to look at the different reactions around.

“Thank you, Mr Sterlin. It’s great to know that you have found love in the arms of your study partner. You’re ready for next year’s tragic love story, Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare.”

Everyone laughed as he took my hand and class began.

Isaac

I watched her frown then I watched her face relax as she nodded before frowning again. She was paying attention, but I don’t think any form of understanding was in the room with us. She looked at me greatly unpleased then back at the boy who was talking non-stop. I talked a lot, but I could never talk as much as my dear friend Ian.

I had no intention to introduce Leslie to Ian, at least not yet. I needed to have him calm down first, which hardly ever happens. However, Ian wouldn’t stop talking as we made our way to my car after gym, as usual I’d find Leslie around there reading something.

This time around everything was going the other way around, I couldn’t lose Ian in time and Leslie came out of the car walking towards looking upset, but she pushed it aside. Now here we were, having an after-school meal at the café with Ian talking.

“I have a bit of a depression myself. I noticed you have been off lately which reminded me of my ‘off’ days.”

He said, I took a sip from my drink.

“It all started when I was five- “

“Okay stop.”

Leslie looked at me. We already had a moment where we shared a traumatic past, I wasn't planning to trigger her unexpectedly because Ian decided to be Ian.