Leslie

Over the past few months, my life had gone from being the worst to better and, before I knew it, the best. I found my sister, I got a boyfriend, and everything was just coming together unexpectedly. Everything just didn't seem to matter when I had a family and someone who loved me unconditionally. If anyone would ask how we ended up like we had, I wouldn't know, but we were happy. All of us were.

"You're meeting Noah right now."

"Isaac"

"Babe, he is really nice and cute and quiet, but he is a good guy."

I have been running away from meeting Noah for a week now, Isaac seemed to adjust to him after but that couldn't possibly mean the same for me. I thought it was great that both of them were adapting to each other, but I wasn't ready to meet someone knew yet.

Isaac dragged me into the cafeteria, I barely came here because of the many people. Normally Isaac would let it slide but clearly not today.

We walked hand in hand to the further end of the cafeteria, getting stares and kissing noises because Isaac's friends were assholes.

I spotted the red haired first, but I couldn't tell who Noah was. That's how much I was running away from meeting someone. Isaac came to a stop in front of a cafeteria table.

"Noah." He called out while the group looked at us.

My eyes settled on the boy who was facing down the whole time. It actually skipped a beat when I realized I was like that too. He raised his face to look at us.

"Meet my girlfriend, Leslie. Leslie, meet my brother Noah."

I hadn't even noticed that the cafeteria was quiet until I heard them start to whisper to Isaac's statement. 

"Wait what?"

One of his friends asked.

"Isaac maybe-"

"Nice to meet you."

Noah said giving me a smile, but I didn't smile back. My eyes ran to Isaac as I realized that no one knew about the sudden event. It was a big deal, just like how it was a big deal when we got into a relationship.

"Your brother? and you didn't think to tell me?" The red-haired boy said.

He packed his food and deserted the cafeteria. My eyes remained on Noah who kept his head down, but his fist clenched.

"I told you."

Isaac said pulling me back to leave with him but i pulled my hand from him.

"Les-"

"Are you serious? Using me like that-"

"That's not-"

"Not what? Not what happened? You were not going to introduce the two of use unless i was ready, but you forced because you want to prove a point. Are you serious?"

Noah walked right past us hurridly.

"Do you not like him?"

"What? Of course I do-"

"Then why are you hurting his feelings? At least he has friends, and you want him to lose them-"

"Babe that's not"

He reached out but I moved back. I had this swelling in my chest, I think it was suppressed anger. I side stepped him and walked away with him calling my name.

When I made my way out of the cafeteria, I looked around trying to find Noah. I began searching for him around the school until I found him seated on the benches. I walked towards him, and he spared me a glance without saying anything. I took it as an invite to seat beside him.

"He doesn't like him..." He started.

"Clive is my best friend and when his mom gave me the opportunity to a better home. I took it without a bat. Isaac was convinced that Clive wasn't happy for me, that he wanted me to suffer so he wanted to prove a point but that's not what happened right? Clive was only upset that I kept this a secret from even him."

I honestly didn't know what to say so I just sat with him gathering my clustered thoughts.

"I think you're fine." I finally spoke.

"I think if Clive is only upset about the secret, then he will forgive you and if it's not about it then you'll drift apart. That's life, we gain, and we lose."

He looked at me and I looked back at him giving him a tiny smile.

"I'm sorry about Isaac, he's a very practical person."

He chuckled nodding.

"He cares a lot though, he is accepting and loving." I compliemented smiling.

"He puts you first, whether you know it or not. He always has your best interests at heart."

And maybe that's why I hadn't told him that I felt suddenly unsafe and scared. It felt as though something was coming and in the silence of my bedroom, it felt like it was getting closer, but I didn't have to worry about it. I was still adjusting getting used to new things and unlearning everything. My therapist said it was a step, feeling like you're going backward while you're moving forward.

We sat like that, no words exchanged just enjoying the sun and view in front of us. When it was time to class again, we parted like we had shared the best conversation. We'd get along just fine; I could feel it.