Chapter 17 | A Revealing Connection

A/N: Please make sure to vote and comment your thoughts!

-------------------------------------------

(No POV)

"I believe I've found a way to determine who X is," Ash announced determinedly.

His declaration hung in the air as the group eyed him questioningly. Gary sighed to himself.

"Go on Ash, tell us what you cooked up this time," he requested.

"With pleasure Gary!" Ash replied with a smirk on his face. "I learnt this from the show I was watching. I've realised that we've been putting an unnecessary amount of effort into this issue."

Gary, Leafia and Serena looked at each other uncertainly before egging Ash to go on.

"So I thought instead of chasing after X, we should make X chase after us!" he explained.

"And how are you gonna do that huh?" Gary asked skeptically.

"Simple. Exploit the threat that you were sent. They're gonna come on our backs sooner or later, so why not just make it seem like it's a more urgent issue for them than it is for us?" Ash explained.

The group sat in silence for a moment before Serena spoke up. "This is your idea then?"

Ash nodded. Gary sat in silence for a brief moment before looking up to Ash.

"No"

He had a mixed look on his face before shaking his head. "No way, that's stupid. Find another way to do it."

"What's wrong with my method?" Ash asked, frowning.

Gary stood up and looked up at him, irritated. "What's wrong is you're trying to take advantage of the fact that I got my information read out to me! This was just meant to be some stupid file we found, I don't want my mum to get hurt from whatever it is we're doing!"

Ash scoffed. "We're in too deep now, you might as well go the full way. If you've got another way, I'm all ears Gary."

"How can you just not give a damn about how dangerous this could be for my family?! Don't be so self-centered Ash! They know everything about me. If I'm a coward for trying to keep my family and friends safe, then so be it." Gary replied furiously.

Leafia grabbed Gary's wrist. "Gary, calm down please...Let's just hear him out."

Gary glared at Ash. "If it was his information it would have been diff-"

"19 times in two weeks." Ash stated simply, cutting Gary off.

Gary frowned at him. "What?"

"That's how many times my stuff got leaked throughout a whole year. I know how to deal with stuff like this already, got it?" Ash said coolly. 

"Gary, please just sit down," Leafia asked.

Gary obliged and sat down once again. "Go on then, deal with it. I'm all for helping you with this as long as I get a guarantee that my family doesn't get hurt."

Serena watched the two friends arguing. To her, it was different and almost frightening. Gary had seemed a lot more serious and angry in contrast to his usual cheery self. Ash was a lot more cold and firm compared to his usual laid-back self.

"Already taken care of. I spoke to Clemont before we left for this camp. He and I spread propaganda around the network to make it look like no one's investigating on it anymore," Ash stated. 

"And while I was at it, I noticed your information isn't anywhere on the Ketch. International database. The whole thing was a fake, just to spook you," he continued.