Chapter 4 | Flat-footed Feelings

(Serena's POV)

The ball flies towards Leafia.

It hits her shoulder.

It falls on the ground.

Everyone is quiet.

Everyone is quiet. Then all of a sudden, everyone starts cheering at once. I stand there in shock, while Leafia has a surprised look on her face. Ash hops off from the bleachers and stands in front of me, beaming.

"You did it Serena!" He says proudly.

"I-I did!" I say, still in shock.

"You go girl!" I hear a voice call from the other side. I turn and see Dawn running towards me, she goes straight for a hug.

"Well I'm surprised Serena, but well done" Leafia says, walking towards us. She then leans towards me.

"Almost like you had some sort of motivation" She whispers. I can feel the smirk radiating off her.

I pull away, my face going pink. Dawn gives me a happy smile and Leafia throws me one of her cheeky grins and walks off acting completely normal.

"Great job Serena!" Ash says, grinning at me. "I knew you could do it"

"Thanks Ash..." I say nervously. Oh why did he have to make me feel this way?

-Time Skip- (No POV)

It was the second game of the class. Serena's win got everyone riled up. So riled up to the point where it was just Katsu and Ash, versus Kit and Leafia.

 Both of the girls were very good at sports. Normally this would have been a rather equalized game but since Katsu was not putting a lot of effort, Ash had to basically solo this game, which was seeming rather difficult.

From the corner of his eye, Ash sees a ball heading straight for Katsu.

"He doesn't see it coming!" Ash thinks to himself.

It's already too late to save him, instead I throw a ball straight for Kit. They're both tagged out simultaneously. 

The whistle blows and the two of them go off the court and sit together.

It was now down to Leafia and Ash.

Judging by Leafia's smirk, Ash already knew this wasn't going to be easy. He quickly analyzed his situation. He only had two balls on his side of the court, while Leafia had four. She clearly had the upperhand. 

Leafia was not holding back. She throws a ball aiming right for Ash's head. He quickly tilts his head to the side to dodge it. Another one zooms towards his shoulder, he barely dodges. Another one heads for his leg. He jumps as it bounces on the ground beneath him.

Out of overconfidence, Ash shouts "Come on Leafia! Give me a challenge will ya?!"

Leafia smirks as she throws an overarm shot heading for his stomach. He sidesteps and trips over on the ground. He looks up as Leafia stands over him with a smug grin of victory, and a ball in her hand. Ash turns around quickly and sees no balls near him.

"Game over Ash" She says, and throws the ball at him. Everything moved in slow motion for Ash. The ball inched towards his face.

"I'm not about to give up! I've got this!" He thinks to himself. He quickly rolls to the side and dodges the shot. Everyone gasps as the ball bounces off where he was and into the air. 

With no time to waste, Ash grabs the ball and nails Leafia in the face. Immediately, everyone starts cheering and they all surround Ash and praise him.