Chapter 1

Hot shot is five years old. He lives with his father Heatwave, his mother Quickshadow and dalmatian puppy Fireplug. They live in Fort Worth Texas and they live a very happy and normal life there.

Heatwave is a firefighter. He is very brave and strong. He has helped save many lives. He has the respect of his fellow firefighters. He has the respect of other first responders. He has the respect of his boss too. Heatwave taught Hot shot at a very early age how to dial 911 and about fire safety. Hot shot was very clever and understood. Heatwave was glad his son was so clever. Heatwave is a very loving, caring, understanding and loyal husband and father. He loves his wife Quickshadow and his son Hot shot very much.

Quickshadow is a pediatric oncologist. She works at Cook Children's hospital. She has helped many children fight cancer. She loves to help kids fight their cancer battles. She can see how brave they are and seeing how they fight makes her smile. She worries one day that might be her child fighting a battle against a cancer and having that journey. It worried her very much and her coworkers understood her worries. Quickshadow is very loving, caring, understanding and devoted wife and mother. She loves her husband Heatwave and her son Hot shot very much.

Hot shot is a very active and playful child. He loves to run, jump, climb and play. He is a child who loves to be on the move. Hot shot also loves sports. His favorite sport is baseball. He loves the color yellow, he loves rhinos, he loves Pokemon, he loves dogs, he loves fish and chips, he loves peanut butter cookies, he loves cookie dough ice cream and he loves to be a big help. Hot shot likes to go places like the playground. He loves to run, jump, climb and play there. He loves to ride his bike, he loves to play catch and he loves to have fun. Hot shot is kid who is full of dreams and wants to reach for them.

Hot shot had a playset he loved to play on. It looked like a fire station with a fire truck. It was built for him as a fifth birthday present by Boulder a friend of his father. Hot shot loved to play on it. It was a lot of fun. He enjoyed the swings, the slide and the climbing bars. Hot shot was a kid who loved things like that.

Hot shot also loves to be with his puppy Fireplug. He is fun to play with and Hot shot loves Fireplug very much. Fireplug loves Hot shot too. The two of them are very close. Hot shot helps with the care of Fireplug. He helps by brushing him, feeding him, giving him water, training him and walking him with his parents. Hot shot and Fireplug are both very close and love each other very much.

Hot shot is a very healthy child and rarely gets sick. Hot shot sometimes has a tummy ache or a cold but he gets over it pretty fast. Hot shot has never had a visit to the ER. Hot shot gets lots of bumps, cuts, scrapes and bruises, but that was normal with a very active child like Hot shot. Hot shot only goes to the doctor for wellness exams. His parents were very grateful for that and it made them very happy that Hot shot was so healthy.

However soon things began to change. Hot shot noticed his left knee was hurting. It had been hurting since he woke up this morning. Hot shot is not happy about it because it is making it hard to run around and play. Hot shot decided to see if his mother could do something about it. He went up to her and Fireplug who he had been playing with followed him.

"Mummy my knee hurts," Hot shot said.

"I'm sorry," Quickshadow said. "What did you do?" she asked.

"I don't know," Hot shot said. "It was hurting when I woke up this morning," he answered.

"Maybe you just slept on it funny," Quickshadow said. "That can happen sometimes or maybe you bumped it in you sleep," she said. "Because sometimes people move in their sleep," she said.

"Oh, but it still hurts," Hot shot said.

"Don't worry mummy will give you some mild painkiller medicine to help," Quickshadow said.