18 - What? - Episode 3

Episode 3 - Her Butler, Trained to Heal

"Is she still asleep?" the doctor said as he entered the hospital room, and I gazed over at him, still standing by Yumi's bedside.

"Yes," I answered, gazing back down at her, "alas, she is."

She still looked innocent like this—which she wasn't—her brows were relaxed as she slept, but her cheeks were flushed, and her breaths were small and shortened.

She was still struggling to breathe, and she had a fever... I knew the doctors wanted her to wake but I secretly hoped she'd stay asleep.

"The test results came back," the doctor answered then, making me gaze up in question. "There are some problems... a couple problems."

"What?" I urged.

"Yumi Phantomhive's symptoms..." he said, sighing. "Well, I'm glad they gave her oxygen in the ER because they suspected this as well... but the nausea, chest pain, and dizziness came from Carbon Monoxide poisoning."

My eyes widened. "She was poisoned?"

"Well... sir... uhm, does she have family around or anything?"

My eyes narrowed. "Who do you think I am?"

"Oh..." he laughed nervously, "I'm sorry, I thought you were just escorting her or something." He cleared his throat and pointed his pen to his paper. "May I ask your name and your relation to Miss Phantomhive here?"

My lips parted.

Relation?

If I said I was her butler... that wouldn't be good, wouldn't it? Especially at a hospital like this. And I didn't want the doctors and the nurses bother's master's work in the near future, she would not appreciate that. If I told them I was her butler, then they would immediately assume I had no relation to her, but... her parents had passed, and she had no siblings, uncles, or aunts.

"Uhm... sir?" the doctor said.

I blinked, and pressed my fist to my mouth, clearing my throat. "I am Sebastian Michaelis, and I am Yumi's lover."

A small smile crept onto my mouth.

Okay, now I wished she was awake and the death glare she would've given me.

"Ah, I see..." he scraped my answers down onto his paper, "and... were you on the way to a convention or something?"

"Hmm?" I blinked, brows arching. "A convention?"

"Why, yes..." he laughed nervously, "you're dressed like a butler. Those old-fashioned ones, you know? I just thought you were cosplaying."

I blinked, genuinely curious. "What's a cosplaying?"

He stared at me for a moment. "Oh... uh... when someone dresses up in a costume."

"Oh, yes," I nodded then, "that is what I'm doing, yes."