19 - Nice try, though - Episode 3

Episode 3 Continued - Her Butler, Trained to Heal

I silently carried Master Yumi up the steps of her manor as she remained asleep in my arms, and after parting the door expertly by kicking it open, I entered the manor.

"Sebastian, your back!" Carter called from the kitchen. "You've been gone for days, it seems like!"

Cammie and Scarlet came out behind him, brows drawing together. "Master...?"

Yumi still breathed shallowly, struggling a little as she remained asleep.

"Oh, no..." Cammie said, pressing her hands to her cheeks, "Master's fallen ill!"

"We must get her in bed immediately!" Scarlet answered, nodding quickly. "Here, Sebastian, if I just might help—"

"No," I started, feeling them all stiffen, and I just parted my eyes, glaring down at them. "You will not. I will take care of Master Yumi like I always do, you on the other hand, do your jobs."

Cammie looked down, looking annoyed, and Scarlet gave me the big, beady pleading eyes.

Carter just scratched the back of his head.

"Where's Maddox?" I said then, gazing behind them.

"Oh, he's in the kitchen," Cammie answered, "yes!"

"Bring him here. I need to talk to all of you."

Seconds later we were all still standing in the entryway, and all the servants stared at Yumi in worry as she coughed a little and breathed shallowly.

"Be on your guard," I said then.

They all looked up to me then.

My eyes narrowed. "You know why I hired you."

All of their expressions immediately masked, and their eyes grew cold and emotionless as their lips thinned.

"Master was poisoned," I explained to them, lashes lowering. "Which means that someone is trying to kill her. Which means that you do what I hired you to do." I lowered my head and felt my eyes flash red. "If anyone sets foot on this manor, kill them."

All of them just bowed forward and stood up straight. "Yes, Sebastian."

I just turned and exited down to the hallway.

Yumi coughed again, gripping my shirt tightly as her eyes squeezed shut tighter.

"Master, you're awake?" I said.

She never answered, but gazed around lazily, still breathing shallowly.

I just finally made it to her room and opened the door, kicking it shut behind me as I carried her over to the bed.

She released me as I laid her down, her legs toppling over the sides of the bed.

I let her lay there as I stepped over to the nightstand, finding a pot with a spout—clearly having steamed water in it—as well as a bowl with a rag sitting on a tray.