8 - Attached to me - Episode 2

Episode 2 Continued - Murder on Elle Street

Yumi sat quietly in the bathtub as I washed off her arms and legs, gently using the softest loofa I could find.

"I have a new task," she told me then, leaning forward so I could wash her back. "It was sent to me in an anonymous note."

"Oh?" I said then, continuing to scrub. "Is that why you've been up all night?"

"Yes," she answered, "I don't know who sent it, but apparently there's been a murder that happened on Elle Street. The police don't know about it, but the note says that the body was disposed before anyone could suspect something."

"That's surely odd," I commented, "that such as this man knew what happened but chose to go to you rather than the police."

"It is odd," she answered, "but I am a Phantomhive, after all. It's only reasonable that I would be entrusted in this. Maybe there's a rat in the guard, who knows."

"Who knows, indeed," I said, continuing to scrub her back. "Have you found any leads yet?"

"No." She stood, the water dripping off her lean form as I wrapped her in a towel and caught under her hips, lifting her out from the tub and setting her down. "I found record of many missing people, but... none of them have her resemblances. In the note, the sender put a picture of her in it. She has long, pink hair and a mole under her eye. None of the missing people resemble her."

"That's peculiar," I said then, lightly patting her dry. "Usually there are record of missing."

"Yes," she answered as I ran the towel through her hair, "and since the police know nothing of it, it's probably reasonable that they do not have record of a body. I would understand that there's no record of the body if it was deposed properly, but she wasn't reported missing? That's just odd, don't you think?"

I pulled a nightshirt over her arms and started buttoning it. "It is odd that the sender entrusted you but did not report her missing."

"Maybe they don't trust the police," she told me. "Maybe there is a rat."

"I know nothing of it, my lord." I stood, holding my hand out to the door. "Set this aside for now. Just relax for a couple hours, yes? A nap, like you said."

She puffed her cheek. "And the sushi?"

"On your nightstand." I smiled.

She tried hard to not look excited, but failed, and she stepped out from the door—into her bedroom—and crawled onto her bed.

I caught the tray and pulled it to her lap, and she stared down at it for a moment. "You are quick, Sebastian. Usually, it took my father's butler an eternity to fold these correctly. But look at you... you left for a minute while I was getting undressed and poof, sushi. It's like it took you ten seconds to make it. And it's perfectly formed, folded neatly, the rice the perfect texture."