35 - You rat! Do I look like I want to be murdered?! - Episode 5

Episode 5 Continued - The Mark of the Eye

"They forgot all their jackets, those sorry creatures," Madam Beham said, laughing as I pulled her jacket off the jack. "Give them to Yumi. She can use them as a trophy for tonight."

"I'm sorry," I said kindly, helping her into her jacket, "but my master doesn't like those clothes. They wore that fur and glitter to show they're rich. She's more classic and frilly, very old fashioned, I'm afraid."

"Yes," Madam Beham said softly, "just like Ciel, huh?"

I was quiet then, lashes lowering.

"You must've taken a liking to her, Sebastian," she said then, turning toward me as she buttoned her jacket. "She's very much like him, indeed."

"You have little idea, I'm afraid," I replied, gazing up.

"I know, I know," she laughed a little, "what's an old woman like me going to understand about a demon's intentions, huh?"

I just watched her curiously.

"Sebastian," she said then, lightly catching my hands as I gazed up in alarm, "she's not just like him. She is him, isn't she?"

I just lowered my lashes.

"Her parents knew," she continued, smiling, "they saw the connections of personalities in her and Ciel, as well as their nature and their life situations. And they knew immediately that you'd be there soon." She just chuckled. "They tried to warn her, telling her to never join dark forces, to never trust creatures of the night, but they didn't know the entire story."

She gazed up at me. "I know the story, Sebastian. I know everything, my dear. You signed with Ciel because you wanted his soul, but even after he fulfilled his side, you just wanted to live with him. So you did... until he grew old and ill, but his soul moved on before you could take it."

I gritted my teeth. "You don't understand. The soul inside Yumi... it's cursed, I swear on it. Every lifetime it repeats the trauma and torture bestowed upon it, over, and over, and over again. It's just madness. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. I've been spending years trying to find it, but I could never find it. Until I heard her cry, I just knew."

Madam Beham's lashes lowered.

"If I eat her soul," I continued, "then the cycle will stop, and she won't be in pain anymore. She'll be... with me."

Madam Beham just laughed softly, making me gaze up when I just realized I told her a secret that I'd never bestowed on anyone.

Not even Yumi.

"You're deceiving her, Sebastian," Madam Beham told me, smiling. "You want her soul, but you're not going to follow the contract, are you?"

My eyes darkened.