ANGEL Interlude (Pt. Two)

"I'll miss you before you leave."

-Shelea, Love fell on me

___

1993

___

Earl and Valerie had spent the last six years as a couple. Similar to Valerie, who had spent years single, waiting for Mrs. Right. Earl was old school, and he courted his woman properly. He had wined, dined, and spoiled Valerie since they met.

He was also very aware of how much Brady meant to her, and he tried to also develop a relationship with her as well. Earl picked up Brady on her lunch from school and took her to a Mexican restaurant nearby.

"You definitely know the key to my heart Uncle Earl. I love tacos." Brady nodded, while scarfing down a taco.

"Earl laughed while taking a bite of his enchiladas, "Glad I chose the right place. I figured you might like it. Actually is a matter of fact, I wanted to get your approval on this,"

He wiped his hands with a napkin before reaching into his pocket. He pulled out a small black box, revealing a 14 karat white gold slender vine ring. The ring was beautiful to Brady as it glistened from the incoming sunlight through the window.

"You think your aunt Valerie would like that?"

"Hmm," Brady looked at Earl with skeptical eyes as she inspected the ring. Brady knew her aunt would absolutely fawn over the ring, but she just had to yank her uncle's leg for a moment.

Earl grew nervous as he waited for her approval, "What? You think she won't like it? It's ugly? You think its bad? It's bad." He rambled, causing Brady to burst into laughter.

"I'm just messing with you, she'll love it. It's a beautiful ring. Nice job."

Earl took a sigh of relief and chuckled, " You had me there for a moment. Thank you, I appreciate it. I know how close you both are, and I wanted to get your opinion since I want to marry your aunt."

Brady grinned brightly, happy she was gaining Earl as a permanent factor in her life. "Absolutely. When are you gonna give it to her?" She asked excitedly.

"I don't know quite yet...but soon."

_____

The next day, Earl woke up earlier than normal and began his morning routine. He had been holding onto Valerie's ring for so long and after receiving Brady's approval, he built the nerve to finally propose.

He finished brushing his teeth and strolled back into the bedroom, where Valerie was still sound asleep. He towered over her and playfully nicked at her ear.

"Earl. Earl! Cut it out! I'm far too tired to give you morning nookie, uh-uh." She fussed.

"C'mon baby wake up." Earl persuaded, he knew Valerie long enough to know she wasn't a morning person. He knew better than to poke the bear, but it was important. It was now or never.

Valerie smacked her lips and turned over aggressively to curse him out. " What do you---" Valerie stopped her protest once she saw Earl holding the ring in front of her. She was completely lost for words. "W-what are you doing?"