ANGEL Interlude (PT. One)

___

1982

___

Just like any other day, Brandt took Brady to the nearest Safeway with him, to do their monthly grocery shopping.

While they  watched the clerk bag their items, an older black woman, no more than fifty years of age, wearing many layers and a black trench coat began to approach them. She had a long silver hair, and slight limp as she walked with a cane.

Brady's big eyes flickered with worry as she noticed the woman coming towards them, and she tugged at her father's sweatshirt to get his attention.

"Hi, I'm sorry, I don't mean to overstep or anything, but do you mind if I give your daughter something?" She offered with a friendly and sincere tone.

Brady was as tall as her father's knees, and she hid behind them shyly.

Brandt maneuvered her to stand in front of him and grinned, "Go on, she's not gotta bite."

Brandt knew his daughter could be very precocious but was relieved she knew better than to interact with strangers.

"What's your name sweetheart?" The woman asked, getting on her level.

"Brady." She responded timidly in her high-pitched voice.

"Here Miss Brady this is for you,"

She opened her hands and the lady put five dollars and 85 cent change in Brady's delicate hands. The woman rose from her level and looked up at Brandt with soft eyes.

"Sorry I just felt like I had to. It's not much but it's all I have." The lady gave a warm smile. Kindness and love radiated from her, and Brady exposed her toothless grin as she happily looked at the money in her hand. It was the most money she had ever received as a five-year-old and she was grateful.

"Thank you, we really appreciate it. What do you say baby?"

"Thank you." Brady gleamed at the woman.

Brandt led her out as they waved the woman goodbye. Brady looked back and witnessed the woman was on the verge of tears.

Neither one of them ever saw the woman again. Brady's young mind didn't understand why compelled to give the little change she had left.

Brandt on the other hand did. His mother was a spiritual woman who taught him many things about the love of the Heavenly father. He knew that sometimes God sends his Angels in the form of humans on Earth to help, teach the gospel, or spread blessings.

The little generosity the woman gave Brady touched the both of them.