Chapter 39: Lonely Christmas

NO ONE'S POV

"We didn't receive any text or call from her." Mr. Lim said to his father as he wiped his lips.

It was Christmas Eve, and the Lim family was gathered around a long wooden table laden with an abundance of food.

They were all present, except for a certain girl who had become the topic of their conversation.

"Your daughter is really tough, huh? She managed to give up her luxuries for Dick's kid." Maki's father said with amusement.

"I heard she tried to apply for jobs pero walang tumanggap sa kaniya." Gelo's mom said while slicing her beef steak.

"Of course, dad talked to all the business owners around town and commanded them not to hire her." Maki's mother answered.

"I wonder how she paid all her bills. It's almost two months since you turned down all her bank accounts, right, Kuya John?" Gelo's father asked, his face showing deep contemplation.

Mikha's parents hated that their only child was not with them during Christmas because of her grandfather's decision.

At first, they thought Mikha would return and follow their wishes because they believed she couldn't survive without financial support.

"Ask your son and his cousin. Sila madalas kasama ng anak ko." John Lim stated.

All eyes turned to Maki and Gelo, who were quietly listening to the conversation.

Gelo sighed before answering. "She's accepting clients this vacation, doing extra work as a photographer. Last time, her friend, hired her for the charity event, they paid her."

"Hindi pala problema ang pera sa kaniya ngayon. How will you make her agree to the arranged marriage, Dad?" Gelo's mother asked her father, who remained silent.

Mikha's grandfather, the head of the family, remained silent, his expression unreadable as he sipped on his champagne.

He couldn't help but feel frustrated by his granddaughter's hard-headedness, yet he was proud and amused at the same time.

But the fixed marriage between the two must happen as soon as possible. He's not rushing Aiah and Mikha's wedding, but they need to sign the agreement before a month passes after Aiah's birthday.

There's a written statement that if they don't sign it, the partnership between both companies will end.

That can't happen because the Arceta and Lim families have been business partners for almost a decade, and most of their businesses are interconnected. This is why the Arceta and Lim families are ranked as  one in the richest company in the business world.

If it weren't for his debt of gratitude and respect for his father, John wouldn't agree to this arrangement. Yes, he's managing his father's business, but he also has his own company that's growing day by day. It wouldn't be a problem if his father disowned him because he doesn't want to complicate things further.

Also, he saw that his daughter loves Aiah, so he agreed, thinking Aiah felt the same way. However, when he heard that Aiah had a boyfriend and saw how his daughter reacted during their last talk, he kind of regretted agreeing to his father.

"Me and Aiah's grandfather will talk about it." Mikha's grandfather stated.

Meanwhile........

Mahimbing na natutulog si Mikha when her alarm clock rang. It was already 12 o'clock in the evening.

"Merry Christmas, self." she mumbled to herself habang nakatitig sa orasan na tuloy-tuloy pa rin ang pag-tunog.