Chapter Thirteen: The Weight of Goodbye

(Going to be gone all day and tomorrow)

Y/N was lying in bed, scrolling through her phone, when a text message popped up from one of her family members back in her hometown. The message was urgent, stating there was a family emergency and they needed her there as soon as possible. Her mind raced with conflicting thoughts. She still hadn't found the killer in this town, but the pull of family obligations was strong. After a moment of contemplation, she decided she would leave the next morning to catch her flight.

Rising from her bed, Y/N got dressed and made her way out of the hotel to meet Jotaro. She found him leaning against a wall, his usual stoic demeanor in place. When he saw her, a rare smile broke through his tough exterior. She rushed to him, hugging him happily.

"Jotaro, let's go grab something to eat," she suggested, her voice cheerful despite the weight of her decision. He nodded, and they walked together to a nearby café.

They talked about mundane things, enjoying each other's company. Y/N relished these moments, feeling a sense of normalcy in the midst of chaos. When she excused herself to use the restroom, she left her phone on the table. Jotaro's eyes immediately went to it, curiosity gnawing at him.

His hand reached out almost instinctively. He picked up her phone and began to scroll through her messages, his heart pounding. When he came across the text about the family emergency and her impending departure, his heart sank. The idea of her leaving, even if it was temporary, filled him with dread and anxiety.

He quickly placed the phone back on the table just as Y/N returned. She sat down, none the wiser, and their conversation resumed. But Jotaro's mind was elsewhere, consumed with thoughts of her departure. He forced himself to smile and engage, but the fear of losing her was ever-present.

As they walked back to the hotel, Jotaro couldn't keep it in any longer. "Why do you have to leave?" he asked, trying to keep his voice steady.

Y/N looked at him with a mixture of sadness and understanding. "It's important family matters," she explained. "I need to be there for them."

"But what if it takes years for you to come back?" Jotaro's voice betrayed a hint of desperation. The thought of her being away for so long was unbearable.

Y/N smiled warmly and hugged him, her touch soothing his frayed nerves. "I'll come back as soon as I can," she promised. "I won't be gone forever."

Jotaro hugged her back, his arms wrapping tightly around her. He wanted so badly to confess his love, to tell her how much he needed her. But the words stuck in his throat, his fear and insecurity holding him back.

They walked the rest of the way in silence, each lost in their own thoughts. When they reached the hotel, Jotaro lingered at her door, reluctant to say goodbye.

"Goodnight, Y/N," he finally said, his voice soft.

"Goodnight, Jotaro," she replied, giving him one last hug before closing the door behind her.

Jotaro stood there for a moment, staring at the closed door. He knew he had to let her go, but the thought of her leaving filled him with a sense of impending doom. He turned and walked to his own room, his mind racing with dark thoughts.

As he lay in bed that night, sleep eluded him. He kept thinking about Y/N's departure, his heart aching with a mixture of fear and longing. He knew he had to stay strong, to trust that she would come back to him. But the shadows of doubt and obsession loomed large, threatening to consume him.

The next morning, Y/N woke up early, feeling a mix of sadness and determination. She packed her bags and took one last look around the hotel room, hoping she would return soon. As she made her way to the lobby, she found Jotaro waiting for her.

"Jotaro," she said softly, surprised to see him up so early.

"I wanted to see you off," he replied, his eyes betraying the turmoil within.

They walked to the taxi together, the silence heavy with unspoken words. As the taxi arrived, Y/N turned to him, her eyes filled with warmth and reassurance.

"I'll be back soon," she promised. "Take care of yourself, okay?"

Jotaro nodded, swallowing the lump in his throat. "You too, Y/N."

She hugged him tightly one last time before getting into the taxi. As it pulled away, Jotaro watched it until it disappeared from sight, his heart heavy with a mix of hope and despair.

He stood there for a moment, feeling lost. The world seemed a little dimmer without her presence. He knew he had to focus on the mission, to keep himself together. But the fear of losing her, the growing obsession, and the need to protect her weighed heavily on his mind.

As he walked back to the hotel, he vowed to do whatever it took to bring her back safely. He would confront his demons, fight his darkest impulses, and ensure that their bond remained unbroken. For now, all he could do was wait, his heart aching with the hope that she would return to him soon.