CHAPTER 31

I hated how I was at the bottom. I hated how I turned my head upward to look at the far sky. I hated how my feet were still touching the mud below and still on the verge of falling.

In summary, I just hated how he was above me. In wealth, in academics, in everything.

However, when life slowly folded before me, I was surprised by how things turned out. The person I wanted the most to surpass became one of the reasons for me to dream for the top––not to outrun him, but to stand with him the same footing.

When I thought I was finally closing the gap between us, Villa Aurin just proved me wrong. My eyes were just deceiving me. He's still far–– still out of reach. Malayo at matayog. Isang pangarap na kailanma'y nakatakda nang hindi ko maabot. I was busy crawling up, but in the end, I slid back to remind me of where I belonged.

Villa Aurin then witnessed how I pathetically strove to climb up, failing to notice that I was losing something important along the way. Before I even realized it, it was just too late.

And now, that I am finally here, I do not know anymore. After reaching something that I once dreamed about––to climb the ladder with my blood and sweat–– I have found myself still having no answer. Hindi ako naligaw. It was just that the view on top was so wide that I felt like I lost my sight of what I really wanted. 

Something in me was left in that town, and what I brought with me was the memory of that horrible night. But I am fine now.

Life won't wait for you to be okay, anyway. It will just continuously throw stones at you, until you just get used to fixing yourself the moment you get broken.

Humikab ako habang may tinitingnan. I was in my panjamas, sulking up in my bed and holding a remote. When I finally found an interesting show, the socks that I was wearing peaked from the comforter that covered my whole legs as I moved my feet in delight.

Umisod ako paatras para maisandal ko ang likod sa headboard. Ngumiwi ako, iniisip na agad kung ilang oras naman kaya ang magagasta ko para humanap ng panibagong panonoorin kapag natapos ko ang series na 'to. I finished watching mostly everything on this platform.

Nasa kalagitnaan ako ng unang episode nang may tumunog. I glanced at my phone, and when the name flashed on the screen, I lazily picked it up.

Here we go again.

"Babe!" masigla niyang bati.

I rolled my eyes.

"Babe, aren't your husband jealous? You've been calling me that."

"Nope. He's actually here, beside me, and listening. We just finished you know––"

"Stop!"

I heard her chuckle. Pinatay ko ang tv at napabuntong hininga. It's actually 2 pm!

This girl!

"Hi, Eryn!" I heard Glenn greet.

"Oh, hi, Glenn! Pakisabi sa asawa mo, paki-zipper ng bibig."

Narinig ko ang malakas na tawa ni Emy. Sinabayan pa siya ni Glenn. Yeah, they, apparently, ended up together. At isang taon na silang kasal. It wasn't suprising. Glenn was too obvious back then. Hindi na tinigilan si Emy sa pang-aasar hanggat hindi siya pinapansin.

"What are you doing?" Emy asked. "Hulaan ko. Nakahiga ka na naman sa kama mo at inuubos ang shows na available, 'no?"

"Oo, pero dahil tumawag kayo, wala na ako maintindihan kaya pinatay ko na––"

"Excuse me. If I am not mistaken, ika-dalawpung series mo na yan mula nang umuwi ka."

Okay, I was pretty exaggerating when I said that I finished almost everything. There were so many shows. It was just that some were not just really my cup of tea.