Chapter 30

I'm interested to learn more about his life but I find it hard to bring up the topic once again. So, we end up talking mainly about me. Again. Though I don't think my life has been that interesting, Daniel seems keen to learn about how I grew up, and the family I've been raised with. As I talk, I realise our lives have been so different. Daniel didn't have a family, didn't have a consistent home, while I've grown up with loving parents in a comfortable environment.

We've both finished our food, but neither seems to be in a hurry to leave. I'm in the middle of responding to Daniel's question about my current degree, when I notice the blonde girl that was knocking at our door the other day walking straight towards us. Daniel sees her too. He starts standing up just as she approaches, he's about to say something when the girl slaps him right across the face, then turns on her heel and walks off, away from us.

Daniel stands still for a moment, looking at her walking away. He looks a little shocked himself. I bet not many people have the courage to slap him like she did. He then lowers his eyes and looks at me,

"Wait here, Sofia. I'll be back" he says and runs off after the girl.

I'm left sitting here alone, shocked. Who is she? There's only one explanation. She is his girlfriend. Or was his girlfriend and he left her. But would she slap him if he didn't do her wrong? No. Probably not. She must be his girlfriend, and seeing him with me, she thought he was cheating. I feel a certain heaviness in the pit of my stomach. All the hopes I've had about being with Daniel come crumbling down. I think the biggest hurt comes from the fact he likes her. He wouldn't have run after her if he didn't. I have a sudden urge to run away from here.

I call the waiter over and pay our bill. Then I stand up and go, not really sure where I'm going. Only thing I know is that I want to get away from everyone. I want to be alone. I walk through the city, not letting tears leave my eyes. I won't cry. Not again. It seems to happen so much lately. But I am stronger than that. So what if I liked him? I don't need him. I don't need anyone. I see a park and hurry towards it. It's filled with people so I walk off the pathway, to the grassed area hidden by a few trees.

I find a place where I can be alone. I'm trembling in anger? Sadness? Hurt? I lean against a tree and stare out into the distance. No, I won't cry. But my eyes feel wet. I can't cry over someone I never had in the first place. A large, heavy tear rolls down my cheek. What did I think? Am I really that upset over nothing? What a stupid, stupid girl. I wipe the lone tear away with my fist. I am better off alone, anyway. I...

"Didn't I tell you to wait for me?" Daniel's voice, coming from right behind me startles me. I turn to face him, he's looking at me with curiosity,

"How did you know where I am?"

"I came back to the diner and saw you weren't there. The waiter told me the direction you left. Then I saw you walking on the streets and followed you"

"You didn't have to"

"I told you to wait for me"

"You did"

"But you left" he says,

"I did" I respond,

"Why?"

"Didn't want to be in the way" I say, trying so hard not to sound as upset as I feel,

"Whose way?"

"The girl that came to see you" I respond, he smiles, tilting head,

"Do I sense some jealousy?" he asks,

"No"

"Then why are you upset?"

"I'm not, but..."

"But what?"