12

That morning, Harry and Hermione stood by the bridge railing, the cool winter air nipping at their faces. The castle grounds were blanketed in a crisp layer of snow, the kind that sparkled under the morning sun. "Harry, you told me you'd figure the egg out weeks ago," Hermione said, her tone edged with frustration and concern. She had her arms crossed over her chest, her breath forming small clouds in the cold air. "The task is two days from now." Harry rolled his eyes, not appreciating the reminder. "Really? I had no idea?" he replied sarcastically, a hint of irritation in his voice. He turned to look at the lake, its surface frozen and shimmering like glass. "I suppose Viktor's already figured it out," Harry muttered, feeling a pang of jealousy.

Hermione sighed, her expression softening slightly. "Actually, we don't really talk about the tasks. Viktor's more of a physical being," she explained, a small smile tugging at her lips. "I just mean, he's not particularly loquacious. Mostly, he watches me study. It's a bit annoying, actually." Harry chuckled at this, the tension in his shoulders easing just a bit. "But you are trying to figure this out?" Hermione pressed, her worry evident in her eyes.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Harry snapped, feeling cornered. "It just means these tasks are designed to test you, in the most brutal way. They're almost cruel. And I—I'm scared for you. You got by the dragons mostly on nerve. I'm not sure it's going to be enough this time," Hermione confessed, her voice trembling slightly. She reached out to touch his arm, her fingers cold against his warm jacket.

Harry looked away, furrowing his eyebrows as he heard someone call his name. "Potter!" Cedric shouted, hurrying over to join them. Harry acknowledged him with a nod. "Cedric," he said, his tone neutral. "How are you?" Cedric asked, a hint of nervousness in his voice. "Spectacular," Harry replied dryly.

Cedric shuffled his feet, looking awkward. "Look, I realized I never really thanked you properly for tipping me off about those dragons," he admitted, his voice sincere. "Forget about it. I'm sure you would've done the same for me," Harry responded, waving off the thanks.

Cedric nodded, then leaned in slightly, lowering his voice. "Exactly. You know the Prefects' bathroom on the fifth floor? Well, um, it's not a bad place for a bath. Just take your egg and mull things over in the hot water," Cedric advised, his words rushed but earnest. Harry looked at him in confusion but nodded, deciding to take the advice to heart.

That night, with the castle quiet and most students asleep, Harry made his way to the Prefects' bathroom. The corridors were dimly lit, casting long shadows on the stone walls. "I must be out of my mind," Harry muttered to himself, clutching the golden egg. He entered the bathroom, marvelling at the opulence of it—the marble walls, the large bathtub that looked more like a swimming pool, and the array of colorful taps. Taking a deep breath, he opened the egg, only to wince as it let out a loud, ear-piercing screech. Quickly, he snapped it shut, his heart pounding.

"Why, hello Harry," a familiar voice echoed through the bathroom. Harry spun around to see Moaning Myrtle hovering near the taps. "I'd try putting it in the water if I were you," she suggested in her usual high-pitched voice. "Myrtle!" Harry exclaimed, not particularly thrilled to see the ghost. "Long time no see," he added, forcing a polite smile.

Myrtle floated closer, her ghostly form shimmering in the candlelight. "I was circling a blocked drain the other day and could swear I saw a bit of Polyjuice Potion. Not being a bad boy again, are you, Harry?" she asked, her tone teasing. Harry shook his head, feeling slightly uncomfortable. "Polyjuice Potion? No, I, uh, kicked the habit. Did you say, 'Put it in the water'?" he asked, hoping to steer the conversation back to the task at hand.

Myrtle nodded enthusiastically and dove into the bubbly water. "Mhm, that's what he did. The handsome one, Cedric. Well, go on, open it," she encouraged, her voice echoing around the bathroom. Harry hesitated, then followed her advice, placing the egg under the water. He took a deep breath and submerged himself, listening intently as the screech transformed into a melodic song.