17

The customary colors of the four Houses were nowhere in evidence. Instead, the Hall was draped in black banners, a somber tribute to the fallen. The atmosphere in the Great Hall was heavy with grief as Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat solemnly among the Gryffindors, their hearts weighed down by the loss of Cedric Diggory. Eloise, Briar, and Georgia sat at the front of the Gryffindor table, their faces reflecting the deep sorrow that enveloped them. Eloise's face was pale, and tears still stained her cheeks. Briar held a hand over her mouth, trying to stifle her sobs.

Dumbledore stood at the head of the Hall, his usual twinkling eyes now clouded with sadness. He began to address the tables, his voice resonating with a mix of sorrow and resolve. "Today, we acknowledge a terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce friend, brother, and son. Now, I think, therefore you have a right to know exactly how he died. You see... Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this, but, not to do so would be an insult to his memory."

Briar looked up at Dumbledore, her eyes filled with anger and sorrow. "Cowards... " she muttered under her breath, her voice barely audible over the silence of the Hall. Dumbledore's words cut through the heavy air, each one a poignant reminder of the harsh reality they faced. "Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me -- reminds us -- that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain."

Eloise let out a muffled sob, her grief echoing through the Hall as Dumbledore continued. "Remember that, and we can all remember that Cedric was kind, honest, brave, and true to the very end." His voice cracked slightly, the weight of his words pressing down on everyone present.

Briar packed her trunk quietly, the atmosphere in the dormitory as heavy as the Great Hall had been. Hermione hugged a crying Eloise, trying to offer what comfort she could. "He's such an idiot..." Eloise trailed off, her voice breaking as she blew her nose into the tissue that Hermione handed her. Georgia sighed and looked at Briar, who let a single tear fall down her cheek. Briar packed her vinyl records into her trunk and closed her record player, each movement slow and deliberate.

"It's okay to be upset, you know?" Briar said softly, her voice barely above a whisper. Georgia shook her head, her expression steely. "Someone has to be tough," she replied, though her voice lacked conviction.

As the Hogwarts students embraced their new friends, Briar smirked as Krum handed Hermione a small piece of paper. "Write to me, please. Promise?" Krum asked, his voice earnest. Hermione nodded her head, a small smile playing on her lips. Ron sat nearby as Fleur and Gabrielle Delacour approached him, Gabrielle kissing his cheek and Fleur kissing his forehead. "Au revoir, Ron," Fleur said, her voice tinged with sadness as she waved goodbye. Harry walked through the courtyard, observing the bittersweet farewells around him.

"Do you think we'll ever have a quiet year at Hogwarts?" Ron asked, his voice filled with a mixture of hope and resignation. Hermione approached the two boys and laughed softly. "No," she and Harry answered in unison. "Oh, well. What's life without a few dragons?" Ron chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.

Hermione lingered, looking around the courtyard with a pensive expression. "Everything's going to change now, isn't it?" she wondered aloud. Harry placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, his eyes filled with understanding. "Yes," he nodded. "Promise you'll write. Both of you!" Hermione insisted, walking with the two boys. Ron and Hermione playfully nudged Harry as they walked together, their arms linked as one, a united front against the challenges that lay ahead.

THE AUTHOR SPEAKS: omg i actually finished the goblet of fire... im so happy.