08

Briar woke up that morning with a start, the soft light of dawn filtering through the thin curtains of her dormitory. The cold air nipped at her as she rolled out of bed, her breath visible in the chilly room. She dressed quickly, selecting a pair of flared jeans adorned with delicate embroidered flowers on the hips, adding a touch of whimsy to her otherwise practical outfit. Her dark red quarter-zip jacket provided warmth, its rich color contrasting sharply with the white of her trainers. She slipped on her brown trainers, grabbed her bag, and headed out the door, her footsteps echoing softly in the empty corridor.

As she descended the stairs to the common room, Briar's heart was pounding with a mix of anticipation and unease. She caught sight of Harry, Ron, and Hermione seated around a table, their morning conversation already in full swing. Hermione, with her characteristic enthusiasm, looked up and greeted her warmly. "Morning, Briar!" she called out, waving with a bright smile.

Briar managed a smile in return, though it felt a bit strained. Harry looked up, his eyes meeting hers briefly before he gave a small, encouraging wave. Briar's heart skipped a beat as she caught his gaze; his soft smile was almost too much to bear. With a quick nod, she hastened her steps, her cheeks flushing slightly as she hurried out of the common room and down the staircase, her mind racing with thoughts and emotions.

Harry, watching Briar's hasty departure, turned to Ron and Hermione with a puzzled expression. "What was that about?" he asked, curiosity evident in his voice. Ron shrugged, his casual demeanor not betraying much concern, but Hermione's eyes lingered thoughtfully on the door through which Briar had just exited.

Briar, meanwhile, had exited the Gryffindor Tower and was making her way down the winding corridors of Hogwarts. Her mind was preoccupied as she spotted Neville Longbottom coming out of the library. She quickened her pace to catch up with him. "Neville!" she called out, her voice echoing slightly in the quiet hallway.

Neville turned with a cheerful grin, his face lighting up as he saw her. "Good morning, Briar. How are you?" he asked, his tone friendly and warm. Briar folded her arms across her chest, her face reflecting a mixture of fatigue and determination. "As well as anyone else, I suppose. And you?" she inquired, her voice carrying a note of forced cheerfulness.

Neville shrugged, his own expression mirroring hers. "Same as you," he said, a hint of empathy in his voice. The two Gryffindors walked down the corridor together, chatting idly until they were interrupted by a loud thump that resonated through the hall. They turned to see a new educational decree affixed to the cobblestone wall. The decree's bold letters and official seal were unmistakable.

Neville's brow furrowed as he read the notice, and he glanced at Briar. "Do you think she knows?" he asked, his tone tinged with concern. Briar's gaze remained fixed on the decree, her expression hardening. "She must have some clue. Why else would she ban all student organizations?" Briar replied, her voice edged with frustration. Neville nodded in agreement, and they continued walking, their pace slowed by the ominous decree.

As they moved, Goyle and Crabbe pushed past them, their rude shove nearly causing Briar to stumble. "Watch where you're going, Longbottom!" Goyle sneered, his voice dripping with disdain. Crabbe chuckled, his laughter a grating sound in the otherwise quiet corridor. Neville sighed, brushing off the encounter with a resigned shake of his head. The two continued on, their footsteps echoing softly.

Suddenly, a peculiar sensation filled the air, and Briar and Neville halted in their tracks. Before them, a large, intricate door materialized out of thin air, its ornate carvings gleaming in the dim light. The door creaked open to reveal 'The Room of Requirement,' its appearance both mysterious and inviting. Briar's eyes widened with astonishment, while Neville's face reflected awe.