09

"So, that's it for this lesson," Harry said, trying to sound upbeat despite the tension he felt. He glanced around at the eager faces of the students who had gathered for their final training session before the holidays. "Now, we're not going to be meeting again until after the holidays... so just keep practicing on your own. And—well done, everyone!" He ended with a smile, which was met with a round of applause and cheerful chatter.

The Room of Requirement buzzed with excitement as students gathered their things, their voices mixing in a cacophony of enthusiastic plans for the upcoming break. Briar lingered behind, taking her time to pack up her supplies. The hum of the students' conversation faded as she focused on neatly folding her training robes.

"Here, Briar. Happy Christmas," a soft voice interrupted her. Briar looked up to see Luna Lovegood standing beside her, holding out a gift wrapped in shimmering purple paper with a bright orange bow. The contrast of colors was as quirky as Luna herself, and it made Briar's heart warm.

"Oh, Luna, you didn't have to get me anything..." Briar started, her voice filled with surprise. But Luna's serene smile remained unchanged as Briar reached into her satchel and pulled out a small bag. "Merry Christmas, please write!" Briar said, handing the gift to Luna. Luna's eyes twinkled as she accepted the gift and pulled Briar into a gentle hug.

"Thank you," Luna said softly. "Merry Christmas, Briar." With a final smile, she turned and left the room, her usual dreamy demeanor accompanying her departure.

Briar watched Luna leave, feeling a pang of appreciation for her friend's thoughtfulness. She then reached into her own bag and pulled out a box wrapped in vibrant red paper with a black satin bow. She gazed at it for a moment, a smile tugging at her lips as she admired the effort she'd put into wrapping it.

Unbeknownst to her, Harry had stayed behind with Cho Chang. The two of them stood near the doorway, the atmosphere between them charged with a mix of awkwardness and anticipation. As Briar turned around, her gaze was drawn to the sight of Harry and Cho standing beneath a sprig of mistletoe that had miraculously appeared above them. She felt her heart drop as she saw Harry lean in and kiss Cho.

The sight was like a knife twisting in her chest. Briar's face flushed with a mix of shock and hurt. Without thinking, she shoved the red-wrapped box into Harry's hands. His eyes widened in surprise, and he stammered, "Briar." Briar didn't wait for a response. "Merry Christmas," she said sharply, her voice tight with emotion. She turned on her heel and stormed out of the Room of Requirement, her steps echoing in the corridor as she hurried back to the common room.

"Briar! Briar!" Harry called after her, but she didn't stop. Tears streamed down her face as she fled, her heart aching with a mix of anger and sadness. She refused to let Harry see her distress, refusing to let him witness the tears that stained her cheeks. Back in the common room, Harry tried to shake off the encounter as he walked through the portrait hole. He grinned as he spotted Ron and Hermione sitting on the red and yellow striped couch, their faces bright with curiosity.

"So? How was it?" Ron asked with a smirk, clearly eager for details. Harry sat down, forcing a chuckle despite the turmoil inside him. "Wet. I mean... she was sort of crying," he admitted, his tone subdued. "Is that so?" Ron teased, his smirk widening. "I'm sure Harry's kissing was more than satisfactory," Hermione interjected, giving Harry a reassuring smile.

"Cho spends half her time crying these days," Hermione continued, a note of sympathy in her voice. "You'd think a bit of snogging would cheer her up," Ron said with a chuckle. Hermione hit Ron's shoulder in a scolding manner, shaking her head. "Don't you understand how she must be feeling? She's mourning Cedric, conflicted about her feelings for Harry, worried about her mum's job, and stressed about her O.W.L.s," Hermione explained, her voice filled with concern.