14

Harry approached the ornate doors of Dumbledore's office, their imposing presence towering above him. He hesitated for a moment, his hand poised to knock on the large, intricately carved brown doors. As he drew his hand back, he heard the faint murmur of voices emanating from within the room. Curiosity piqued, he leaned closer, pressing his ear against the cold wood to better catch the heated exchange occurring behind the closed doors.

"A man has died here, Fudge, and he won't be the last. You must take action!" Dumbledore's voice rang out clearly. The urgency and frustration in his tone were unmistakable. Cornelius Fudge, the Minister of Magic, responded with a shake of his head, his voice brimming with obstinance and denial. "I will not! In times like these, the wizarding world looks to its leader for strength, Dumbledore!"

Dumbledore's retort was swift and sharp. "Then for once, show them some!" Harry could almost visualize the headmaster's intense gaze and the stern set of his features as he challenged the Minister. Pressing his ear more firmly against the door, Harry strained to hear every word of the conversation between the two wizards.

"I will not be seen as a coward," Fudge's voice rose, defensive and indignant. Dumbledore's response was measured, the wisdom in his words resonating with a timeless truth. "A true leader does what is right, not what others think." The gravity of his statement hung in the air, a stark contrast to Fudge's defensive posture. The Minister's face contorted with disbelief and offense, his pride stung by Dumbledore's pointed words.

"What did you say to me?" Fudge shouted, his anger boiling over. The raw emotion in his voice betrayed a deep-seated insecurity and fear, laid bare in the face of Dumbledore's unflinching honesty. Moody who had been watching the two men argue cleared his throat. "Excuse me, gentlemen. It may interest you to know that your conversation is no longer private." Moody pointed his wand at the doors and they opened, revaling Harry.

"Harry, how good to see you again," Fudge said, forcing a smile. Harry nodded towards the Minister and looked to Dumbledore, feeling a mixture of embarrassment and curiosity. "I can come back later, Professor," Harry offered, but Dumbledore shook his head. "Oh, not necessary, Harry. The Minister and I are done." With a curt nod, Fudge took his hat from Dumbledore and left, casting a last glance at Harry as he walked out.

"Excuse me, Harry. I'll be back in a moment. But please, help yourself to some Licorice Snaps in my absence. I must warn you, though, they are a bit sharp," Dumbledore said, leaving with Moody. Harry looked around the office, his curiosity undiminished. He reached into the bowl of Licorice Snaps and was startled as the candies began to snap their sharp, tiny, black teeth at his hand. Leaping backward, he bumped into a cabinet, scattering the remaining Snaps onto the floor.

Turning, Harry noticed the cabinet door slowly gliding open. Light from the office played on his fingertips as he stepped closer, peering inside to discover a stone basin filled with a swirling, cloud-like substance. Mesmerized, he leaned closer, and before he knew it, his nose broke the surface of the liquid. He pitched forward into the churning whirlpool and landed heavily on a tiered bench.

"Professor?" Harry called out, finding himself in a courtroom. A slightly younger-looking Dumbledore sat beside him. The room was filled with witches and wizards, all seated on similar benches, their attention focused on Barty Crouch, who stood on a podium flanked by other Ministry officials. Harry's attention was drawn to a man shaking Dumbledore's hand. "Good to see you, Dumbledore, though I wish it were under better circumstances," Mark Laurier said, his resemblance to his daughter Briar striking.

Mr. Laurier took a seat beside Dumbledore as an iron cage rose from the floor, containing a thin man with a feral look in his eyes. Harry's gaze shifted to Igor Karkaroff, who stood within the cage. "Igor Karkaroff, you have been brought from Azkaban at your own request to present evidence to this council. Should your testimony prove consequential, the council may be prepared to order your immediate release. Until such time, you remain in the eyes of the Ministry a convicted Death Eater," Crouch announced.