Ch. 1: It's Been So Long!

Sofia glided, her enchanted skates leaving fresh white marks against the frozen lake beside her castle in Enchancia. Ever since her first performance with Prince Hugo, she loved ice dancing and never stopped practicing new tricks.

She hummed along to one of her favorite songs, by Princess Aurora. During Royal Prep, the fairies had taught her the song that she sang when Briar Rose was in the forest. Ever since, she had been skating along to it.

"I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream," she sang, her brown wavy hair swishing with every movement. It has grown down to her hips now, and she wonders how Rapunzel deals with so much hair. Sofia could barely keep up with her hair now.

Blue eyes bright as ever, she tried to decide what steps to do. She spun around on the ice and leaped into the air, doing an extremely fast spin that made her really dizzy. Sofia just laughed and moved on.

*Meanwhile at the castle*

Amber waited outside on the palace steps along with James. Their parents were inside, discussing some boring royal matters, while the siblings were welcoming in the other royals, who were here for the ball tonight or a week's sleepover.

The first carriage, Baileywick announced, was Princess Clio's. She stepped outside and Amber gasped in delight, for Clio was no longer wearing her signature magenta gown—instead, she was wearing one of her most successful fashion pieces: a midnight blue gown with silver sparkles covering the sleeves and skirt.

"Oh, it has been so long, Amber," Clio says, giving a tight but polite hug. Amber smiled, happy to see her friend.

"Prince Axel and Prince Hugo from Albuquerque," Baileywick called. Out came Axel, the crown prince as built as ever.

"Haha, yes!" James whooped, rushing down the stairs to give a brotherly hug, to both him and Prince Hugo who just stepped out the carriage.

"Nice to see you, James," Hugo said. He has definitely gotten taller, James thought. Hugo took a deep breath and looked at everybody who had already arrived. He frowned. "Hey, James," Hugo started, counting only Amber and him out of the three siblings, "where's Sofia?"

James grabbed Axel and Hugo and pulled them inside the palace, the princesses slowly following. "Ah, someone has a crush on my sister?"

Hugo's eyes widened and he rushed, "N-No. I-I was wondering where she was."

Axel snickered and James smirked knowingly. "I don't think Sofia was notified that you would be arriving today. She's out on the lake, ice dancing."

The black-haired prince inhaled sharply, remembering their ice performance. Goodness, what will she look like now? Even more beautiful.

Amber frowned and Clio smiled at Hugo's flushed cheeks.

"You better go get your girl, Baby Bro," Axel laughed.

James just smiled cheekily and shrugged, acting innocent. "We'll be following behind you."

Hugo glared at both of the boys and left the castle, stalking in the thick snow.

James barely kept his joy in check. Oh, the oblivious lovebirds. Amber came to James' side and said, "Baileywick notified all of us. Sofia shouldn't be out there."

James just rolled his eyes and said, "I found him about to knock on Sof's door. I stopped him so that Hugo could get a chance to go after her himself."

Amber's jaw dropped and she slapped her brother's shoulder. "Well played, James. Well played."

Hugo hugged his suit jacket tighter around his torso, cursing James and Axel for not following behind him like they promised.

"Oh, well," he muttered to himself, "at least I'll get to say hi to Sofia."

The snow was falling in thick snowflakes now and Hugo wondered how long Sofia has been out in the cold.

And that's when he heard it. The voice of an angel, echoing around the bare and white trees. The snow glimmered and icicles glowed as Hugo followed the mesmerizing sound. The closer he got, the more he realized that it wasn't an angel.

It was Princess Sofia, her eyes glowing bright in the white wonderland. She was wearing a thin blue dress that just reached her knees and had long sleeves with gold swirls. Her long hair also had some white pearls pinned into it, making her look like a goddess.

Hugo ran a hand through his hair. He had recently stopped gelling it down because of the huge amount of annoyance that came with it. The prince blew out a surprised breath, admiring the princess's glowing features. She looked...undeniably attractive.

"But if I know you, I know what you'll do," she sang, her eyes closed and completely in the moment. Hugo realized that she didn't hear him arrive. The prince tried to place the song she was singing...oh! The song by Princess Aurora!

He looked down and smiled at his shoes, an idea popping into his head. Thank goodness the fairies made his shoes the transforming kind. He clicked his heels together and his dress shoes popped out skates in the bottom.

He slowly slides onto the ice, being cautious not to disturb the princess' routine. Then he carefully crept behind her and copied her moves. They had a rhythm: spin, glide, flip. Every now and then, she would add something, but Hugo was going to join her and give a slight surprise.

"You'll love me at once," Sofia sang softly, slowly widening her arms. Hugo saw this as his chance.

He carefully wrapped his fingers around her wrists and glided along with her, slowly tracing his hands along her arms and down to her waist. Every touch felt like electricity was rushing through his veins.

"The way you did once," he joined her and their voices melted together. Sofia gasped and opened her eyes suddenly, spinning around while holding Hugo's hand above her head.

"Upon a dream," he finished for her. Sofia was covering her mouth with a hand, obviously shocked that the dark-haired prince she was daydreaming about was standing in front of her.

"Hugo!" she exclaimed excitedly. Her smile was the most joyous one that Hugo had ever seen and his heart nearly erupted, now knowing that his presence made the princess happy.

Sofia trailed her finger down the swoop of his nose, traced the shape of his soft lips, and lightly ran her hands through his thick hair. He's real. Not just a daydream.

"I'm sorry, princess, I didn't mean to startle you," he said, reciting the words of Prince Phillip. "For we've met before, once upon a dream."

Sofia laughed and rolled her eyes.

Hugo softly grabbed Sofia's hands and pulled her closer so their bodies touched. He smirked at the fact that Sofia is still a head shorter than him. "Before the moment ends," he whispers in her ear, "wanna do the quadruple fireball flip?"