Ch. 13: On Our Way to Avalor (Spicy)

The rest of the sleepover week turned out amazing.

Sofia and Hugo slept together for the entire week, despite James-the-Overprotective-Brother's protests. Hildegard and Zandar shared their first kiss and had a special dance at the Wassailia Ball. Isa and James went on a double date with Desmond and Amber at a lake in the middle of Enchancia. Clio and Khalid were being super secretive about their relationship status, but everyone could see that they shared some feelings. And then there was Vivian who was being questioned relentlessly by Amber about who she chose on her scroll.

Now everyone was on their way to Avalor for Queen Elena's wedding to the soon-to-be King Mateo. Hugo's father was busy, so King Garrick sent him to Sofia's Royal Floating Palace with her family.

"Okay, what do you think?" Sofia asked, twirling around in her light pink sundress. The couple was underneath the deck inside the princess's bedroom.

Hugo was lying down on the bed, so he propped himself on an elbow to look at Sofia's dress. Through the small circular window on the wall, blue light landed on Sofia's features, making her glow. "You look absolutely beautiful," he said, getting up and planting a kiss on the princess's forehead.

"SOFIA!!" yelled Amber, barging into the room. She laid eyes on the couple that were holding hands and gasped, suddenly feeling guilty to be interrupting their moment. "So sorry," she said hurriedly, "but Daddy just stopped the boat to go on the beach."

Sofia let go of Hugo's hands and rushed to the window, wondering which island they stopped at. It seemed unfamiliar.

"We'll be right up there," Hugo answered, turning back to Sofia once Amber shut the door. "Everything okay, Sof?" Stepping closer, he set a hand on his bride-to-be.

"Yeah," she said, laying her hand on Hugo's. "I just don't recognize this island."

Hugo smiled and rushed her out the room, excited to see what was in store for them.

*On the beach*

The king and queen were both sitting in their beach chairs, reading underneath their umbrellas. James was in his swim trunks and wading around the waves as Amber was doing her beach makeup.

Hugo and Sofia were both sitting on the sand, bathing in the sunlight. Hugo was wearing a tight red dress shirt with shorts that reached his knees.

"Wanna go for a swim?" Hugo asked, clasping his fingers with Sofia's.

Sofia hummed in response and sat up, shaking the sand from her hair. "Sure. Let's go," she said with a huff as she pulled Hugo up.

They both walked around the rocks and Hugo wondered why she was walking away from her family members.

"Why'd we stop here?" he asked once Sofia stopped walking. They were so far away that James was the size of a bean.

"I have something to tell you," Sofia said, gulping. It was time to tell him the secret about her amulet. She didn't want to have any secrets between their relationship and this amulet situation wasn't helping her guilt.

Sofia slipped her dress off to reveal a dark purple one-piece swimsuit. Hugo just watched, still overcome with confusion.

"You know how I always keep my amulet on?" Sofia asked, holding out her pink jewel. Hugo shook his head. "It was a gift from my father and I promised to always keep it on. Soon after he gave it to me, I realized that...it gave me magical powers."

Hugo froze. Then he burst out laughing. "You're joking, right?" Sofia's face didn't move. "You're serious?" he asked, frowning.

Sofia nodded and continued, "Every time I need help, a princess shows up. For example, Cinderella showed up when everyone fell asleep at my first ball. The reason it helped me so much is because Queen Elena was trapped in it. After she escaped, the amulet somehow kept the powers. It contains the powers to make me small and into a mermaid."