Ch. 12: A Proposal As Old As Time

Amber fumbled with the zipper on her back, cursing the tailor for making it so small.

The dress she wore was a beautiful peacock green, the waistline shining with golden bells that jingled every time she moved. Her sleeves started with big puffs and continued so it covered her arms, and gold sparkles adorned the bottom of her skirt.

"Oh," she whined, still not being able to move the zipper. Thinking of no other solution, she called for the one person she once used as a living mannequin.

"DESMOND!!!"

*In Desmond's guest room*

James flopped backwards onto Desmond's bed and said, "I can't believe my parents actually kept a successful secret. Usually they would let it spill somehow."

Desmond chuckled and swallowed, feeling his mouth dry. His parents were arriving today and he knows they'll somehow embarrass him.

James glanced at Des out of the corner of his eye. "You good, bro?"

Desmond blew out a breath and collapsed into a chair, slumping down. "My parents are arriving at the ball and I have a feeling they betrothed me to Amber because she's in line for the throne. I don't think they've even seen her."

James sat up, propping himself on his elbows. "Well, if that's the case, you have two options..."

Des looked up at him.

"One: You introduce Amber and they'll either be impressed or disgusted. Two: You hide from them the entire night."

Des groaned and hid his face with a book as James laughed hysterically.

Then both of them jerked upwards in their seats after hearing a screech, "DESMOND!!!"

Des looked at James, frightened. "I guess that's my cue t-to leave."

James gulped and gave a half-hearted smile. "That's your wife. Better not make her wait," he said with a thumbs-up.

Desmond walked out the room and down the hallway to Amber's bedroom. With a knock, he called, "Amber?"

"Come in!" she replied.

Des opened the door and immediately gasped, covering his eyes. Amber was in her gown but the zipper was down.

"Oh, please, Des. You can open your eyes."

There before him was a woman as beautiful as a goddess. The green and gold on her dress made her hair and eyes glow.

"Did you need something?" Des said, slowly closing the door behind him.

Amber blushed and turned back to the mirror, motioning to her zipper. "Can you zip me up?"

Face turning red, Desmond stepped forward and zipped up the dress, sending shivers up Amber's spine. When his hand moved upward, his finger was lightly tracing against her back and she swallowed, willing herself not to shake.

Heartbeat racing, she turned back to Desmond and gave him a hug. "Thanks," she said, stepping back and brushing off her skirt.

"I'm always here for you if you need anything. For a bling-y science project or living mannequin as well," he said with a goofy smile. Amber snorted and ran her hands down Des's suit. It was black with a gold undershirt, matching her jingly bells on her waist.

"Well," Des said, interrupting Amber's train of thought, "I'd better get downstairs and help set up. I heard Sofia's out with Hugo, collecting ice lilies and such."

Amber smiled and took her hands off Desmond's chest, wondering if she made him uncomfortable. "Yeah, I'll meet you down there."

*At the ball*

Sofia and Hugo were both dancing the night away in the middle of the ballroom, along with James and Isa. Elena was standing with Miranda and Roland, clapping along with the beat of the fast waltz.

At the climax of the song, Hugo put one of his hands on Sofia's leg and his other on her back, dipping her so low that her hair was touching the floor. Then he quickly helped her stand and lifted her off the ground, all the candles making her teal gown sparkle.

Amber watched from the side, glancing at her parents every now and then. They had known...they had known about her engagement to Desmond and hid it from her.

Not that she wasn't glad it was him, but how could they? How could they keep a secret from their favorite daughter?

Only other question was...did Des know?

She glanced at the king and queen of Mezbez, their smug smiles and glances at Desmond leaving a pang in her heart. Was she the only one who didn't know?

"Desmond," she whispered, intertwining her gloved fingers with his. "Did you know about our engagement?"

Desmond looked at the ground guiltily. "Yes."

Amber took a deep breath, calming her heart. She shouldn't be angry. After all, he was such a sweet prince. She should be glad that she isn't marrying Axel or somebody else.

"I'm sorry," Des continued. "My parents didn't agree in telling you because they thought it would be a nice surprise. Your parents agreed but they told me about the engagement because they were hoping...I would propose."

Amber's eyes widened. "You don't mean—"

Desmond put a finger against her lips and rushed her outside of the dance floor. Stopping right by the Wassailia candle and tree, he bent down on one knee.

Amber gasped and covered her mouth in shock. Tears were threatening to flow down her cheeks, but there was no way she was going to cry at her once-in-a-lifetime marriage proposal!

"Amber Winslow the First, my earliest and only love, friend, and shining star...it would do me the honor," Desmond started, pulling a small box out of his pocket, "if you would marry me."

Popping the box open was a bright and shining Panizite, the shape strongly resembling the Amberina Major, the star that the princess discovered herself.

A circle had formed around the young couple and everyone gasped at the sight of the big jewel.

"YES!" she squealed, sobs already starting to shake her shoulders. She reached out her hand and an extremely joyful Desmond slid the ring onto her finger. A perfect fit, just like the two of them.

Once Des stood up, Amber hugged him tightly. She cried into his chest and held out her hand. "I'm getting married!" she exclaimed, wiggling her ring finger when Sofia came closer.

"Oh, I'm so happy for you, Amber," Sofia said, giving her sister a hug.

"Now, Desmond," James said, stepping forward and turning to the red-faced prince. "You better take care of my twin, got that?" James said, a smile on his face. Desmond gulped because he knew that James was not joking.

Amber rolled her eyes and hugged her brother, laughing to herself. After pulling away, James had an incredulous look on his face.

"What?" she asked, curious to what made him look that way.

"You just hugged me," said James, looking around to see if anyone noticed that strange action.

Amber scoffed. "That's the only time I'm gonna do it."