8- Date (Part Two!)

(TW: just plain angsty 😋)

You and Hero's laughter was cut short by the sound of many wheels approaching you.

"Hey, Hero!" Hero looked up, you doing the same.

"And... (Y/n)? I thought you left... gotten tired of avoiding everyone?" Your eyes widened. "A-Aubrey?! Hey! I was wondering where you were! How've you been??" You patted the spot next to you on the blanket.

"Cut the act, already!" Aubrey pointed her nail bat at you. You flinched away, not expecting the sudden movement. Hero immediately sat up.

"Aubrey? What are you doing?" He asked, a serious look in his eyes that would be enough to scare you. Aubrey didn't seem to care, though. "Hey! We're the ones questioning you two!" A girl with red glasses shouted, pointing at Hero.

"I see you two have moved on already. Was this some kind of plan, all along? Wait 'til Mari is gone so you two could get together?" She accused. Your eyes widened, Hero's doing the same.

"N-NO!!" "OF COURSE NOT!!" The both of you shouted. Aubrey rolled her eyes. "Tch, right. And Kim and Vanny hate candy." A guy with his hair pointed into the shape of horns interjected. "We don't!"

Your face was completely red by now, and you were trying your best to hide it. "Aubrey, I'm sorry I wasn't there for you when you needed it most, and I'm sorry I didn't visit Mari enough, and I'm sorry that it seems like no one cares but I promise you...

We do.

We do care.

And maybe you should try to see that instead of assuming the worst?"

Aubrey glared at you with fury in her eyes. The nail bat was inches from your face. She was thinking about swinging it so hard and fast that when it hit your head you wouldn't realize 'til it was too late.

But she couldn't.

Not unless it was a fair fight.

She pulled the bat back, then leaning it against her shoulder, still keeping the same cold gaze. "Fight me, (Y/n)." You paused.

"Um... what?" "Fight me." "I don't have anything to fight with..." "just use your hands? Duh."

You looked at your hands.

Max damage they could do was 3. You closed your eyes tight, thinking. Hero put his hand on your shoulder. "You don't have to, (Y/n)." You shook your head no. "You're right, Hero..."

You stood up. "Aubrey, I don't know how you've been these past three years or what you've been through, but you yourself should know that violence isn't always the way to answer things. So, I'm not going to fight you."

Her eyes widened before narrowing again, her face heating up.

"You think you're better than me? Just because you've kept these so-called friends around you? As if! If they really are true friends, why weren't they there for me?!"

You looked down, rubbing your arm. "Aubrey, I-"

"NO. I'm done with you... goodbye."

The scooter gang followed after Aubrey on her bike, occasionally throwing back glances at you. Some disapproving, some pitiful. You reached out a hand to Aubrey, but Hero reached out his own, taking your hand in his and holding it tightly.

You stared at where she went, tears starting to form in your eyes. "W-what have I done?" You whispered, the salty liquid running down your face now.

"Hey, hey!... (Y/n), it's okay... we all had things going on... it's alright... people deal with grief in their own ways, and others have no right to judge them... it's alright, okay?.." You didn't meet Hero's gaze.

"I'm sorry, Hero... I'm sorry for ignoring you and the others for so long, I'm sorry I was such a jerk... I'm so, so sorry..." Hero pulled you to sit down on the checkered blanket, hugging you tightly. "Stop apologizing, (Y/n), it's not your fault..."

You sobbed for awhile, leaning against his shoulder, the sobs slowing down to sniffles, which slowed down to the occasional hiccup. Hero rubbed your back in circles, offering the occasional whisper that it's going to be okay.

It felt as if no time had passed, for either of you. At this moment, it felt as if you two had been friends for all the years that had passed. It felt as if time was standing still, and all that mattered was you and him.

Strange, how all of this had happened in one day. Hero had forgotten how much he missed the group, every one of his friends, Mari, and you.

You? He really did miss you? As you were held in his arms, you felt this information dawn upon you. You had only known the group for a week before the incident, and had already grown close enough to know them like you grew up with them.

You felt the air grow tense, so you hesitantly spoke.

"Thank you..." You whispered, pulling away. "But... I think I have to go home now. I, uh... I have school work due tomorrow." It wasn't true, but you had to get out of here.

Crying? In front of anyone? So embarrassing.

Hero had a look on his face that was a mix between slightly disappointed and an "This is so awkward, what I'm about to say" on his face.

"Oh... already? Well, uh... I um... I thought we could hang out a bit longer?... it's alright if you can't, I understand if you're really busy..."

The two of you were so awkward. Like, the amount is indescribable.

You hesitated, half turned away from him, half facing him.

Should you stay?

Yes            ♡             No

Yes No

You slowly turned back to him, sitting down. A small smile reached your lips. "I...guess I could stay." Hero's face brightened as he smiled back.

This was one of those moments you could tell Hero was related to Kel. That same smile, and aside from the age gap, different hairstyles, and that Hero's smile looked a bit more shy, they looked exactly the same.

Well, his smile was shy unless he had that "I'm fabulous and I know it" look on his face, usually shown during a role call at school to make sure all the students are in class.

In this case though, it was his shy smile. You scooted over to be next to him.

"That cloud looks like a bunny," you said out of no where.

"Hm?" Hero looked up, then chuckled. "I suppose it does!"

More silence. Then, Hero spoke.

"That cloud looks like a flower." You spotted it, then nodded your head, giggling. "Yea! It really does!" The two of you continued pointing out clouds and what they looked like, while occasionally getting a snack from the picnic basket.

Before you knew it, the sun had started to set.

You noticed this first, starting to get up. "Well, I guess this is goodbye..." you sighed. "I had fun with you today, Hero! Maybe we could do this again some time?"

Hero stood up as well, helping you pick up the picnic supplies. "Wait a second... hey! (Y/n)! Do you want to have a sleepover at my house?" Your looked up from folding the checkered blanket.

"Really? Sure!" You said excitedly. "Alrighty! You can get your stuff from your house, I'll tell my mom."

"Okay!" You replied, getting all the supplies back into the basket and heading back down the street. "See you in a bit!" "Same to you, (N/n)!"

You walked down the sidewalk for a while before realizing what Hero had said.

You blushed. A breeze blew by, sounding like Something was giggling at your reaction.

Yippeeee! A new chapter already! Next one is ofc gonna be a happy fun time no angst becuz I suck at writing that stuff... this chapter and the last proves so- well anyway I hope you enjoyed :3 and remember, how to make a family is not family friendly! Until we meet again! Nyeeeehhhh! *runs away*