Chapter 25

The Cost Of Power

DAMIEN RYDER

I stood at the podium in the grand conference hall, surrounded by flashing cameras and eager reporters. "Ladies and gentlemen," I began, "I am proud to introduce the latest version of the Xiaomi phone." As I detailed its innovative features and sleek design, the response was overwhelming. Current and new users alike were buzzing with excitement. This launch was my first major move as CEO, and it felt good to solidify my position with a win.

But my mind was already on the next challenge. The legal team had gathered all the evidence needed to sue our rival company for patent infringement. It was a risky move, but one that would send a clear message about who was in charge now.

Back at my penthouse, I picked up the phone and dialed my father's number. The line connected, and I heard his gravelly voice on the other end. "Damien, this is a surprise," he said, a hint of happiness in his tone.

"Did you know your son is out there in America?" I asked, my voice carrying a mix of curiosity and suspicion.

There was a long pause before he finally responded. "Yes, I knew. I have my plans."

"Don't try anything dangerous or underhanded," I warned, my voice firm.

He chuckled lightly. "You have my word."

Then, with a hint of a mischievous smile, he added, "You know, you're becoming more like me."

"How so?" I asked, intrigued.

"You're placing your men everywhere. Bravo!" he said, almost congratulatory, before ending the call.

Immediately, I contacted one of my trusted men in America. "I need you to start keeping an eye on Jack. Monitor his movements and activities closely."

A few days later, the report came back. Jack had been seen hanging out with Julianna.

"What are they doing together?" I asked curiously.

"I have no idea, Sir," my man replied.

"I need you to check more on this," I ordered.

Back at the office, I tried to focus on my duties as CEO, but my mind kept wandering. Janet, my assistant, noticed my distraction. One afternoon, she approached me. "Mr. Ryder, is everything okay? You seem a bit off lately."

I forced a smile. "Just the usual stress, Janet."

"Let's hang out together, maybe grab some drinks," she suggested.

I hesitated but agreed. "Sure, why not."

We went to a coffee shop, and upon seeing me, the staff immediately reserved the entire place for us. It felt a bit excessive, but I appreciated the gesture. Janet tried to get me to open up, but I kept the conversation light, focusing on company stress and my father.

Little did I know, our hangout didn't go unnoticed. The next morning, as I walked into the office, I felt the eyes of my employees on me. The atmosphere was tense. An urgent meeting with some board members was called, and I could feel the tension in the room.

"Can I know what's going on exactly?" I asked, looking around the table.

One of the board members handed me a newspaper. The headline read, "Damien Ryder, the new CEO and chairman of Xiaomi, spotted on a date with his new lover, Janet, who happens to be his new PA."

I felt my blood boil. "Who the hell leaked this?" I demanded, slamming the newspaper on the table.

"We don't know yet," someone replied.

I clenched my fists, trying to contain my anger. "I need to get to the bottom of this. And make sure Julianna doesn't see this."

I stormed out of the meeting, determined to find the source of the leak and fix this mess before it got any worse.