Chapter 26

Unmasking the Past

"How about Jack? You haven't even told me about him in detail yet," Stella said as we both sat on my bunk. Her curiosity was palpable, and I knew she wouldn't let it go until I spilled everything.

I sighed, feeling the weight of my guilt. "I still feel guilty about what I did to him," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Really? What did you do?" Stella leaned in, her eyes wide with interest.

I took a deep breath and recounted everything that happened the day I met Jack. "You should have... but I understand your reaction," Stella said, her voice trailing off as if she wasn't quite sure how to finish her thought.

"Tell me, am I at fault or not? How did I make a grown man like him run?" I asked, frustration creeping into my voice.

Before Stella could answer, Cooper interrupted, obviously having been eavesdropping. "Wait! You said he's the firstborn and an unwanted son?" she asked, her curiosity piqued.

"Yeah, so?" I replied, wondering what she was getting at.

"He might be of help," Cooper said thoughtfully. "You can get to know him and learn the truth about Damien Ryder and his dad's little secrets."

"Wow! That's true," Stella added, her eyes lighting up.

I thought about it all night, pondering how to use Jack to uncover the truth about Damien Ryder and why he killed my father. Yet, a nagging feeling told me what I was planning might be wrong.

The next morning, I invited Jack to my hostel. He arrived promptly, and we chatted briefly with my friends. They seemed to like him, noting that he was cool and polite, a stark contrast to Damien Ryder, the self-proclaimed king of handsomeness.

"I'm sorry about the other day," I began once we were seated at a cozy coffee shop. "I wasn't thinking straight. Damien really caused me pain." I hoped my apology would mend the rift between us.

Jack seemed distracted, immersed in something on his phone. "What are you looking at?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

He sluggishly showed me the news headline on his screen: **"Damien Ryder's Secret Date with His New Personal Assistant Janet."**

A wave of anger and confusion washed over me. I cleared my throat, trying to mask my emotions. "Let him do whatever he likes," I said dismissively.

"You hate him so much?" Jack asked, his eyes searching mine. "But I hate him more than you do," he added, his voice tinged with bitterness.

Our conversation turned deeper as Jack revealed his story. "Mr. Ryder met my mother first. They had me, but because of Damien's mom, Mr. Ryder left us and didn't marry my mother. She threatened us, made our lives a living hell," he said, his voice breaking with emotion.

"What kind of threats?" I asked, my heart aching for him.

"She threatened my mother and me, made us run far from her. When my mother was really sick, Mr. Ryder couldn't even check on us. Instead, he sent a huge amount of money at the last minute, trying to make up for what he'd done," Jack said, tears welling up in his eyes.

"Did your mother make it?" I asked, my voice soft with sympathy.

"No," Jack replied, his voice choked with tears. "My mother died. She never got to see me grow up."

My heart broke for him, and I reached out to give him a comforting hug. "I'm so sorry, Jack."

He pulled away slightly, wiping his eyes. "My mother and Mr. Ryder started the company together. Now Damien, out of nowhere, is the heir to it all."

"What is your mission?" I asked, curious about his intentions.

"I don't know yet," Jack admitted, his voice tinged with frustration. "I want to expose Mr. Ryder's secrets, but I haven't figured out how."

We talked heart-to-heart, sharing our pain and frustration. Jack told me how he once thought Damien was different from his father, only to realize Damien was covering his father's tracks and was responsible for my father's death.

"I'll be there for you," I promised, feeling a newfound resolve. "We'll uncover the truth together."

Jack looked at me, his eyes filled with gratitude. "Thank you, Julianna. It means a lot to me."

As we sat there, our bond strengthened by shared pain and a common goal, I felt my hatred for Damien Ryder grow. This was no longer just about my father's death. It was about uncovering the truth and seeking justice for all the wrongs that had been done.