Chapter 27

Unfolding Mysteries

DAMIEN RYDER

"Guy! Haven't you gotten hold of the reporter who posted that news?" I asked Alex, my tech-savvy friend, with a mix of curiosity and frustration.

"Actually, I have some information on it," Alex replied, his fingers flying over his keyboard. "The news was published by Khaleej Times, a press company, at 5:34 PM. But there hasn't been any news about them for a year now since they moved from their HQ."

I sighed, feeling the weight of the situation. It was getting increasingly difficult to trace who was behind this. "Book a flight to America for the day after tomorrow. I need to see my dad," I instructed one of my men as I hung up on Alex. With only two days left to ensure Xiaomi was in place and my position secure, I had to act swiftly.

"Aren't you going to the company today, boss?" one of my men asked as I stood up.

"Let's go," I replied, grabbing the suit jacket draped over my chair.

When I arrived at the office, everyone greeted me with the usual respect, but there was an undercurrent of tension in the air. Janet, my efficient assistant, immediately approached me, ready with updates.

"Mr. Ryder," she began, "I have all the information you requested. The rumor about us has been taken down."

"How did that happen? Who posted it in the first place?" I asked, curiosity piqued.

"It was done silently with no trace left behind," she explained. "We don't know who did it."

Her words made my blood boil. I suspected Jack, but there was no evidence to prove he was behind it.

I arranged an urgent meeting with the Board members for my new plan regarding the creation of a Xiaomi branch in Africa went smoothly. After a lot of considerations, everyone agreed it was a sound strategic move, given Africa's significant user base for Xiaomi products.

One hour earlier..

"Hey, sis," Jack said over the phone.

"Jack, this is not the right time. Damien Ryder might be here any minute, and you know I'm his assistant now," Janet whispered urgently.

"I just wanted to inform you that you did very well, and the shot was perfectly taken. I'll need your paparazzi some other time," Jack replied.

"Just hang up, okay?" Janet said, cutting the call short.

           ************************

"Janet, do you know about Khaleej Times here in Dubai?" I asked her curiously as I sat on my desk.

"Khaleej Times?" she echoed. "It's a popular English press company, but there's been no news of them lately after they moved from their HQ. It seems some company bought them off."

"Sir, are you thinking...?" Janet asked, her curiosity evident.

"Yes! That's exactly what I'm thinking, and I'll find out very soon," I said, cutting her off.

Janet looked nervous. "Sir, if I may ask, why are you so obsessed with this press thing? Fortunately, it has been taken down," she said sluggishly.

"You wouldn't understand," I sighed.

After I left the company, Janet immediately called Jack. "Who are you after, and why did you ask me to set Damien Ryder up?" she demanded.

"His girlfriend... oh! Ex," Jack said briefly before hanging up.

"Wait! Jack!" Janet shouted, but the call had already ended. She tried calling back, but his line was unreachable. "Oh, fuck," she cursed under her breath as she packed her things and prepared to sign out for the day.

The next day, I called another meeting with the new team to discuss our expansion plans. We decided that construction should start in Johannesburg, South Africa. I announced my urgent trip back to America to the COO, Calvin, and later informed Janet.

With everything settled, I headed back home. Realizing that time was not on my side, I didn’t wait for my booked flight the next day. Instead, I went straight to board my private jet, heading for Oxford, Mississippi.

The situation was spiraling out of control, and I needed answers and know what Jack is up to in America. My father held the key to this mystery, and it was time I confronted him face-to-face. As the jet soared into the sky, I steeled myself for the confrontation that awaited me in America.