𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐛𝐲𝐞.

Percy woke with a drinking straw in his mouth

Percy woke with a drinking straw in his mouth. He was sipping something that tasted like liquid chocolate-chip cookies. Nectar.

He opened his eyes.

He was propped up in bed in the sickroom of the Big House, his right hand bandaged like a club. Argus stood guard in the corner.

Hope sat next to him, Amaya was holding his nectar glass while Annabeth was dabbing a washcloth on his forehead.

"Here we are again," Percy said.

"You idiot," Annabeth said, which is how he knew she was overjoyed to see him conscious. "You were green and turning gray when we found you. If it weren't for Chiron's healing, you would have died."

Amaya felt a wave of relief wash over her when she saw Percy's eyes flutter open. She took a step closer to the bed, her voice soft, he had never seen her act that way, it felt weird.

"Percy, can you hear me?" she asked, placing a gentle hand on his uninjured arm.

Percy nodded weakly, still feeling disoriented. "Yeah, I can hear you." His voice sounded hoarse and rough. He tried to sit up a bit, wincing as pain shot through his injured side.

Amaya let out an exhale of relief, before she took a sharp inhale. "Listen here barnacle boy, you almost gave me a heart attack, you don't get to almost die like that, okay!?"

There it is. Percy said giving a shaky smile, despite the pain he was in. "Sorry, I didn't exactly plan on getting poisoned by a scorpion, you know."

Amaya rolled her eyes at his attempt at humor. "Yeah, well next time, try not to get your life in danger every five minutes."

Annabeth, who had been uncharacteristically quiet, spoke up, "Seriously, Seaweed brain. You scared us half to death."

Hope stared blankly at him. "Are you doing okay now? Not to be rude but you look like crap."

Percy managed a weak laugh. "Thanks, Hope. That's exactly what a guy wants to hear when he's recovering from a near-death experience."

Annabeth shook her head, "Yeah, you look terrible, but at least you're awake and talking now."

"How are you feeling?" Chiron asked.

He was sitting near the foot of Percy's bed in human form, which was why he hadn't noticed him yet. Chiron's lower half was magically compacted into the wheelchair, his upper half dressed in a coat and tie. He smiled, but his face looked weary and pale, the way it did when he'd been up all night grading Latin papers.

"I feel like my insides have been frozen, then microwaved.", Percy groaned, shifting slightly in his bed. "Everything hurts."

"Apt, considering that was pit scorpion venom. Now you must tell me, if you can, exactly what happened."