21.Secrets

It was a sunny afternoon and fortunately for me, we didn't have afternoon lectures. Amara had invited me to her hostel for a homemade lunch and I didn't resist. It was a perfect time to talk to her maybe.
As we sat down to eat, Amara served a delicious meal. I couldn't help but admire her cooking skills. As we enjoyed the Rice with spaghetti and peas, we talked about many things and surely enjoyed each other's company.
As we finished the meal, Amara insisted on cleaning up the table and taking the dishes to the kitchen. I protested saying that I could help but she waved me off with a smile, assuring me that she had it under her control.

As Amara made her way to the kitchen,
my mind was preoccupied with the mystery of Tiffany.
Suddenly I had an idea,I decided to call the number of Tiffany. I know they had asked me not to call them but I just couldn't shake off the nagging feeling that I needed to uncover the mystery of my secret benefactor.

I called the number and to my surprise, a phone began to ring from Amara's bedroom.
Shocked and bewildered, I immediately ended the call and then called again.
To my astonishment, the now familiar ringtone echoed from the direction of Amara's room.

For a moment, I sat frozen in disbelief.
The implications of this discovery were too overwhelming for me to process.i felt a surge of conflicting emotions especially shock and confusion.
I walked closer to the room and every time I called the number, it yielded the same results, a phone ringing in Amara's bedroom.

As Amara returned to the dining room, she was surprised to find me standing next to her bedroom.
"Is everything okay Mike, " Amara asked extremely confused.

" Will you please explain why Tiffany's phone is ringing from your bedroom?" I asked almost pleadingly but very loud.
"What do you mean Tiffany's phone Mike?" Amara asked almost stuttering.
" Please tell me the truth Amara,are you my secret benefactor?" I asked unable to believe my question.

Amara noticed the stunned expression on my face and immediately knew that I had discovered her secret. With a heavy heart, she started talking, her eyes filled with apprehension.
"Mike, am sorry I didn't tell you sooner," she began, her voice tinged with regret.
" There is a lot I have to tell you, but you have to sit down first." She added showing me to sit on the couch.
I sat and she went into her room only to return with a Mobile phone in her hand.
"It's true I am Tiffany." She said, now more confident.
"This.. this is the phone I was using to talk you." She said showing me the one in her hands.

I stared at the phone, my heart racing as I processed the image on her lock screen. The wallpaper depicted a joyful moment between Amara and an old man, his face weathered but kind. My throat tightened as I recognized the man. It was Mzee Biraro.

"Amara,"I said, my voice trembling slightly.
"Is that Mzee Biraro?"

Amara looked at me, her eyes wide with surprise. "Yes, it is. That's my father."

I felt a rush of confusion, shock and a deep sense of sorrow. Nothing was making sense right now. First Amara is my secret benefactor Tiffany and then Mzee Biraro is her father. Damnn.