Chapter 4 - Face to Face

The first light of dawn painted the sky with hues of pink and gold as the small company prepared to leave the relative safety of Bree behind. The streets were quiet, a stark contrast to the bustling activity of the previous night. Anaynah, Aragorn, the four Hobbits and a pony by the name of Bill moved with purpose, their breaths visible in the crisp morning air.

Anaynah took a deep breath, savouring the scent of dew on the grass and the faint aroma of wood smoke lingering from the night before.

Aragorn led the way, his keen eyes scanning the horizon for any signs of danger. Anaynah walked beside him, her senses equally alert. Behind them, the Hobbits followed, still rubbing sleep from their eyes and adjusting their packs.

They moved swiftly, leaving the last traces of civilization behind. The path ahead was narrow and overgrown, winding through dense thickets and across small streams. The sounds of Bree faded into the distance, replaced by the rustling of leaves and the chirping of birds.

Aragorn's voice broke through her reverie. "We'll follow the Greenway for a time, but we must be cautious. The Nazgûl will not have given up so easily."

Anaynah nodded, her hand instinctively resting on the hilt of her sword. "We'll be ready."

The journey was arduous, the terrain challenging and unforgiving.

With a nod from Aragorn, they continued their trek, each step taking them further from the safety of Bree and closer to the unknown dangers that lay ahead. The road was long, but they were ready to face whatever challenges awaited them, united in their quest to protect the Ring and defeat the darkness threatening their world.

"Where are you taking us?" Frodo asked, his voice tinged with anxiety.

"Into the wild," Strider replied, his tone firm and reassuring.

Merry, struggling to keep up as they moved through the woodland, glanced sceptically at Strider and Anaynah. "How do we know this Strider and Hawkeyed are friends of Gandalf?"

Frodo considered this, his eyes narrowing thoughtfully. "I think a servant of the enemy would look fairer, but feel fouler."

Merry cast a doubtful look at Strider and Anaynah. "They're foul enough," he muttered, though Strider's keen ears caught the comment, and he tipped his head slightly, acknowledging it with a wry smile.

"We have no choice but to trust them. Besides, this is Bilbo's Anaynah, if he trusted her, I will do the same." Frodo said, the resolve in his voice clear.

Sam, leading his pony, looked uncertain. "But where are they leading us?"

"To Rivendell, Master Gamgee," Strider answered. "To the House of Elrond."

Sam's eyes widened with excitement. "D'you hear that! Rivendell! We're going to see the Elves!"

They continued to walk through the woodland, the weather turning against them as rain began to fall. They pressed on, undeterred, until they reached the top of the hills where snow covered the ground. Aragorn paused, looking around for signs of danger. Anaynah watched the horizon with sharp eyes, always alert. The Hobbits, meanwhile, were busying themselves with frying pans and cooking utensils, clearly ready to prepare a meal.

"Gentlemen!" the ranger called out, his voice carrying an edge of urgency. "We do not stop 'til nightfall."

"What about breakfast?" Pippin asked, his expression one of earnest confusion.

Aragorn looked puzzled. "You've already had it."

Pippin's face fell. "We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?"