Chapter 11: Morning

I had to do some major damage control the following morning. Last night was a total disaster. Not only did I kiss Rafe but I had to distract my parents from the fact that I was completely drunk. I played it off that I was extremely tired, but I'm sure my dad picked up on the lingering scent of blood punch from my mouth. Sarah texted me to come over early to share a specialty hangover breakfast. I eagerly accepted the invite as I needed to get out of the house. There is no way I will survive questions from my parents while battling a raging headache. The blaring morning sun didn't help much as I walked over to her place. I watched the ground instead, inspecting my converse as they dug into the mud. It suddenly dawned on me that Rafe would be at the house. Of course he'd be at Sarah's house, he's her brother dumbass. You kissed her brother remember? I also realized in that moment that I couldn't tell Sarah about it. Not today, and hopefully not ever. She and Rafe aren't close but I know the kiss would start drama. She was my first friend at the heartless academy and I don't want anything to jeopardize that. I raced to the kitchen as soon as I arrived, hoping to avoid an interaction with Rafe.

"Hey! Come sit," Sarah pulls out a seat beside her at the kitchen island.

The kitchen looks as nice as the rest of the house. Warm morning light fills the room, reflecting off of the pretty white flowers displayed on the countertop. My eyes widen as I see a plate of hot eggs, toast, and bacon sitting in front of the chair.

"Do hangovers always feel this way," I whine.

"Unfortunately yes," she laughs.

"This smells great by the way. You didn't need to go through all this trouble, I thought by breakfast you meant cereal or something," I say nibbling on the bacon.

"It was no trouble at all. It's my go to breakfast after a night out. I also made some coffee if you'd like, it pairs well with everything."

"Ya sure that sounds great. Thanks again."

She hands me the cup of coffee before letting out a sigh and sitting down.

"So...," she starts.

"About last night..."

I put the fork down.

Does she know about the kiss? Did Rafe say something? Is she waiting for me to confess? I'm totally fucked aren't I?

"I may have hooked up with Topper," she says grinning.

I feel a sigh of relief leave my body.

"What!? I mean I totally called it," I say with excitement.

"I know, it just happened so fast! The music was playing, and Topper was being so sweet all night. It just felt right you know."

I watch as she smiles shyly, relieving the moment in her head.

"I'm happy for you Sarah," I say smiling.

"I really hope I did the right thing. I mean Topper has liked me for a while and we always kind of had a thing going on. But kissing him changes a lot." She pushes her eggs around the plate.

"Have you talked to him since yesterday?"

"No. He sent me 'good morning' earlier with a smiley face. I didn't respond. I don't know how these things work Kie. It's easy getting the man, I'm not so good at keeping them."

"Well my advice is to talk to him as soon as possible. Give him some reassurance that you liked the kiss."

"Ya thanks, I will. Hey, I tried finding you after to share the news, but I couldn't find you anywhere. You kind of took off after beer pong. I knew you were leaving but I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye."