burnt tales and stolen hugs

•°•

the oven dinged, indicating that the cookies were done. kavya wore the gloves and pulled them out. she had a weird smile on her face as she served them on a plate and brought it to her guests sitting at the living room.

"here ishan, have some cookies that i made." there she was, again with that weird smile.

"um thank you kavya. these are some delicious cookies." ishan shared as he kept on munching the cookies from the plate.

the tension in the room was palpable enough for ishan to know that she has not called him over just for the cookies. ishan looked over towards shubman who was just as nervous as him, looking at kavya.

as she got seated on the sofa across them, she took a deep breath and began,

ishan's pov

"ishan and shubman"

"yes?" we both said in unison and looked at each other giggling cause we thought it was funny(?).

she cleared her throat and asked us to focus.

"so you know why i called you?"

we nodded our head in agreement.

"i'm gonna be a good person and let you explain how you ended up in that situation."

so we began how we left the party and how shubman ended up in "jail."

"so that's it."

"now we know the truth, that's good. but the media is turning around the story and making it seem like shubman spent the night in jail."

"media is often twisting and turning around things. can't we just let it go?"

"no shubman, we cannot. this one is serious and if not handled carefully, can taint your rising career."

sighing, kavya said,

"i just hope it doesn't reach the national media and remains confined in the stupid tabloids."

just then, a notification pinged in her phone.

"oh speak of the devil."

she proceeded to open the link to the live news going on.

"SHUBMAN GILL IN JAIL??"

"THE YOUNG RISING CRICKETER, SHUBMAN GILL WITH A MYSTERY GUY?"

the headlines appeared in big bold red letters over the whole screen.

a call came in. kavya picked it up in a panic.

"ah hello sir. yes sir, absolutely sir i get it. yes sir, i'm extremely sorry. we'll get it fixed in no time."

kavya went outside chanting "yes sir" to her boss on the phone.

i felt so bad. this was all my fault.

"shubman." i called him in a shaky voice which broke him out of his trance.

"yes ishan." his voice laced with seriousness and tension of the situation we've ended up ourselves on.

"i'm so sorry shubman. this happened all because i asked to stop the car and if i hadn't-"

"and if you hadn't, the baby would've never been found and god forbids, would no longer be alive." he said calmly.

he turned me towards him and held my shoulders.

"ishan, listen to me. pls don't cry, it's not your fault. what we did yesterday, helped a life. it gave a child a shelter. we should rejoice that we saved someone's life. rather than sorry, we should be feeling proud and grateful, don't you think?"