~Chapter 16~

~Colby~

The soft glow of moonlight painted the room in ethereal hues, casting long, dancing shadows that seemed to sway in time with my gentle breathing. I woke to the soft cadence of Emily's slumber, her rhythmic rise and fall a comforting lullaby. My head rested on the worn arm of the couch, while she was curled into my chest, her hand lightly tracing the curve of my collarbone. A sense of peace washed over me as I watched her sleep, her face serene in the soft illumination.

Carefully, I shifted my position, my heart aching with tenderness as I reached for a blanket to cover her. A slight rustle stirred her, and her eyes fluttered open. They were pools of midnight, filled with a sleepy confusion that was quickly replaced by a soft, pleading look.

"Please stay," her voice was a whisper, carrying the weight of a silent plea. My heart melted as I turned back to her, drawn irresistibly to the warmth of her presence. She sat up, her arms finding their way around me in a tight embrace. I returned the hug, my hands gently rubbing soothing circles on her back.

"Are you okay?" I asked softly, my voice filled with concern.

She nodded, burying her face in my chest, her body trembling slightly. "Just a bad dream," she murmured, her voice muffled.

A wave of protectiveness washed over me as I scooped her up in my arms, her weight surprisingly light in my hold.

Carrying her to her bedroom, I laid her gently beside Blake, their intertwined fingers a testament to their bond.

Blake stirred, his small hand reaching out for her. "Mom," he said sleepily. Emily turned to him, her voice soft and comforting. "Yes, baby, I'm here."

"You didn't tuck me in, Mom," he complained, his voice filled with a hint of disappointment.

A pang of guilt shot through me as I realized my neglect. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart," Emily apologized, kissing his forehead. "I promise to tuck you in properly tomorrow night." Blake snuggled closer to her, his worries seemingly forgotten.

"You can stay, Colby," Emily said, her voice barely audible over the soft snores of her son. I hesitated, torn between the comfort of this moment and the anticipation of the questions that awaited me at home. "I'll be in the living room if you need me," I replied, my voice a gentle husk.

As I watched them sleep, a sense of peace enveloped me. The world outside seemed distant, irrelevant. In this quiet sanctuary, surrounded by the soft glow of the moon and the rhythmic sound of their breathing, I felt a love so deep it seemed to echo through the very core of my being.

I pulled a blanket from the closet and curled up on the couch, the soft fabric a comforting embrace. Sleep claimed me slowly, my dreams filled with the gentle touch of Emily's hand and the sweet innocence of Blake's slumber.

~Emily~

~Tuesday September 16th~

The next morning when I woke up, I saw that I was in my bed holding Blake, and not on the couch with Colby anymore?

Was last night a dream or a reality?

I saw that Blake was still fast asleep, so I carefully got out of bed and went to my bathroom to get dressed. I decided on some yoga shorts and a baggy sweater. Then, I went to my living room to see Colby passed out on my sofa.
I guess last night was a reality after all.

I smiled and I walked over to him. He had taken off his clothes and was in nothing but his boxers. He was flat on his belly and his head was nuzzled into a pillow with his arms tucked under it.

His brown-black hair was tousled and was draped over his face. He looked so peaceful. I pouted at him and smiled. I knelt and rubbed up and down his left arm and grazing his crescent moon tattoo.