Chapter 3

TORI

"Everyone get out of the way. Make room for Miss Carter and Miss Manson to exit. They do not have time for your nonsense. Please leave!"

It was that guy—the one with the mute friend who was staring at Arianna and me. They guided us out of the paparazzi and got us safely to our car.

"Um, who are you two?" I asked.

The two men exchanged glances. "Well, I guess our cover is blown. The President will understand."

My eyes grew wide. "I'm sorry, did you just say the President? You mean my father, the President?!"

The man nodded. "Yes, let me take you to him, and we will explain it there. I'm Oliver, one of his secret service agents."

I let out a laugh. "Well, that explains the staring now. I bet he told you to be discreet, but you weren't doing that. I'm sure you both are supposed to be some of the best, aren't you?"

Oliver hesitantly nodded. "Would you rather we let you stay in the crowd of paparazzi?"

I shook my head. "No, let's just get this over with."

Arianna and I got into Oliver's vehicle. We didn't find out the mute guy's name, but he didn't talk anyway, so I guess it didn't matter. Oliver drove us to the President's home, not the White House. It was still bigger than my home, though.

I stepped out of the car. "Victoria," a voice said

My father, Patterson Manson, stood before me. He was a tall, gray-haired man with a beard, a suit, and a tie. He smiled, but I did not.

"Father, having me stalked by some of your men, huh?"

Patterson shook his head. "They were not stalking you. They watched your surroundings to keep you out of harm's way. I see they didn't take my advice of being watchful of you seeing them." Patterson frowned, and I chuckled at Oliver and his friend's expressions.

"Why am I here?" I asked.

"Come inside, and I will explain everything," Patterson said.

I looked at Arianna, who had gotten dragged into this mess with me. I then looked back at my father. "No. Please explain it now. You might be my father by DNA, but you are not my father by anything else. You were never there. Tell me now, or I'm leaving."

My father sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "I think those men that were waiting by your car wanted to hurt you because of me. Lots of threats have been going around about harming you."

I took a step back. "H-How did you know about that? I only told a few people. I-"

"I'm sorry about that. I've been trying to keep you safe since I began running for President. Four men will be looking after you to make sure you are protected. It is your choice to stay at your home, here, or in a safe house, but I will not take no for an answer about my Secret Service agents. They will be there to protect you."

I rolled my eyes. "Is that how you think I will come crawling to you saying thank you, Dad, for everything? Do you think this will earn your forgiveness for leaving me and Mom?"

Patterson shook his head. "No, I have many regrets, Victoria, and leaving you both is one of them. I was young, and I was stupid. I'm sorry about that. I want to do what I can now, so please, at least let me keep you safe. I'd never forgive myself if something else happened to you."

"Fine, do this one thing if it will make you happy. I don't want to contact you, so I will only talk to your agents. There is plenty of room at my house, where I am the most comfortable, so that is where I will be."