Family meeting

Tension filled the Bridgerton house. Violet had decided to call a family meeting to discuss recent revelations and determine the next steps. Colin and Benedict were the first to arrive. The living room was already filled with the other family members, including Daphne, Eloise, and Philippa.

Benedict entered the room with a wide smile on his face, which immediately caught everyone's attention.

"What's with you?" Colin asked, noticing his excessive happiness.

Benedict didn't bother to answer his brother.

Everyone exchanged meaningful glances, but no one continued the conversation. At that moment, Benedict mentally returned to his memories of a recent trip.

He had traveled for an exhibition dedicated to the 16th anniversary of one of his most famous paintings. The trip was not just a professional necessity but also an opportunity to immerse himself in memories. The painting, depicting Penelope, had always been special to him—it was both his pride and his pain. It was not only his masterpiece but also a reminder of the person who had left a deep mark on his heart.

His feelings for Penelope were deeper than he could admit even to himself. He knew he had made a mistake, but he believed they had a chance to make things right. When he planned the masquerade, he hoped that the evening would help him see Penelope. He hoped that the masquerade would attract her attention with its mystery and atmosphere.

Penelope, unsuspecting, ended up at the masquerade thanks to her friend, who insisted on her presence. The friend didn't mention the real reason for the event, only saying it would be a splendid evening of masks.

When Penelope entered the hall, her heart beat faster. She felt a strange tension and inexplicable anxiety. She didn't know what it was, but her intuition told her that this evening would change her life.

Benedict saw her immediately. She was in a mask, but he would recognize her among thousands. He didn't expect to see her there, and his heart skipped a beat. He headed towards her, deciding to talk and try to sort out his feelings.

Penelope noticed his approach. She froze for a moment, then, frightened by her own emotions, decided to flee. She slipped through the crowd, trying not to meet his gaze. Her heart pounded, and every step was difficult.

Benedict watched as she slipped away. He felt pain and disappointment but was not going to give up. He decided to follow her.

He ran out of the building, hoping to catch up with Penelope before she left. His thoughts were racing, and he felt his heart pounding in his chest.

Outside, it was cold and dark, but he saw Penelope's silhouette heading towards her car. He ran towards her, not thinking about what to say, just knowing that he had to stop her.

When he finally saw her, he felt his heart stop. She seemed so fragile and vulnerable at that moment. He approached her, hoping they could talk and explain their feelings to each other.

"Penelope," he said softly, not wanting to scare her.

She turned, and their eyes met. In her eyes, he saw a mix of fear and hope. She didn't say anything, just looked at him as if trying to understand if it was really him.

"Why did you run?" he asked, not taking his eyes off hers.

"I..." she began but couldn't continue. Her voice trembled, and she turned away, trying to hide her tears.

Benedict stepped closer, not knowing what to say but knowing he couldn't just leave.

"I don't want you to leave, Penelope," he said gently. "We need to talk."