Sophie: The Truth Revealed

Colin was enjoying a rare peaceful morning. He was sitting in his study, busy reading letters and responding to invitations. However, his tranquility was disrupted when he heard muffled voices coming from the next room. He recognized Anthony's voice and decided to get closer to hear the conversation.

"What was that, Anthony?" one of the brothers asked quietly. "I didn't want to overshadow Benedict's happiness," Anthony replied, his voice full of tension. "But Colin needs to know the truth," Daphne added.

Colin froze, his heart beginning to race. He couldn't help but intervene and resolutely entered the room.

"What's going on?" he asked, his gaze full of anxiety. "What truth?"

Anthony, noticing his brother, sighed and gestured for him to sit down.

"Dear, the thing is, Sophie is your daughter." "Excuse me, what? Have you all lost your minds here?" Colin exclaimed. "We only recently found out. She is Penelope's daughter. And, judging by her birth date, you might be her father," Daphne said.

Marina, standing nearby, quietly said, "Colin, I'll support any decision you make."

Colin frowned, looking at Marina, and unexpectedly smiled. "That's very kind of you, Marina, but this cannot be true."

An incomprehensible silence hung in the room. Everyone looked at Colin, waiting for an explanation.

Colin sighed and began to speak, "Sophie can't be my daughter. And here's why..."

"It was after that ill-fated dinner," he began, his voice full of bitterness and regret. "I was jealous and angry. Penelope didn't want to talk to me, and I couldn't accept it. I decided to go to her and try to talk."

Colin closed his eyes, recalling that morning. "I went to her house, knocked on the door. When she opened it, I immediately realized that she didn't want to talk. She just silently went to the bathroom, leaving me standing in the hallway."

"I tried to get through to her, but she didn't respond. And then Benedict came, and I decided to take advantage of the situation."

Colin looked at his brothers and sisters, their faces expressing bewilderment and concern. "I told him that Penelope never loved him, and that she had spent that night with me. I convinced him that he should leave and leave her alone."

Anthony frowned, his eyes narrowing. "Colin, what are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying that it was all a lie," Colin replied, his voice full of determination. "I deceived Benedict and all of you. I was too angry and hurt to see the truth."

Colin paused, trying to cope with the surge of emotions. "Penelope, of course, knew nothing about it. She just wanted me to leave to calm down. But I couldn't understand that. I was too consumed by my jealousy."

"So if you're not Sophie's father, then who is..."

At that moment, the door opened again, and Benedict appeared on the threshold. Hearing Colin's last words, he froze in place.

"Sophie is my daughter?" he asked, his voice full of shock and disbelief. He dropped the glass he was holding, and it shattered, spreading shards across the floor.

Everyone looked at their brother with sympathy. Benedict, still in a state of shock, sat down on the nearest chair.

"What are we going to do now?"

The Bridgertons were invited to Sophie's birthday, and tension hung in the air. The celebration took place in a cozy garden decorated with garlands and flowers. Sophie, cheerful and carefree, was surrounded by her family and friends. But it was especially hard for Benedict to watch Sophie and Alfred, who seemed to be the perfect father-daughter pair. Each of their interactions reminded him of the truth he had only recently learned.