23. Russian Roulette

Author's Note: FYI, if you read Thoreau, this takes place during the "fight ball" incident at Reau's first - and last - visit to fighter practice.

Also, Finding Him, Book One, is now available as an audiobook on Audible. Coming to iTunes and Amazon within the next five days!

###

Tyler

"Congratulations, bro!" Before he could protest or dodge, I wrapped my arms around Landry and lifted him off his feet in a big bear hug. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Thanks, man!" he laughed, not even trying to get free like he normally would. "I couldn't believe it at first, but the alphas convinced me it was real. To tell you the truth, I'm still a little in shock."

Dropping him, I turned to Grace Turnbull - ahem, Benson now - and held out my hand.

"Congratulations, Grace! You have one of the best men in the pack for your mate," I told her as her soft hand shook mine.

"I know he's a good man." She ducked her head a little shyly, but her eyes never left Landry. "Thank you, Beta Ty."

It had been a week since luna freed Landry from the curse, and he was on medical leave for as long as he needed, so I wasn't expecting him to be leading the 10 a.m. fighter practice on Friday, and I certainly wasn't expecting to see him with Grace, much less holding her hand!

Then he'd dropped the bombshell that they were Goddess- given mates, and I'd narrowed my eyes at him, wondering just how much caffeine he'd had today. Grace, however, had assured me that they both experienced the sparks, smelled special scents, and felt the mate bond growing strong and sure between them.

"So tell me how this was possible." I planted my fists on my hips and looked from one to the other. "There's no such thing as second-chance mates, so how can you two be fated?"

"The witches explained that Nia Hashimoto was the one who cursed me, and her spell had a few bonuses to it. Not only did it trick me into thinking she was my mate, it kept my real mate hidden from me." Landry's eyes softened as he smiled down at Grace. "After they told me that, I went looking for this delicious smell that Oak had picked up on earlier before he went too wild to talk. He picked up the trail and followed it straight to my Gracie."

"That's incredible," I said and slapped him on the back. "Once I tell Peri, she's going to be excited, too. Let's get together to celebrate soon."

"Sounds great!" Grace said with a grin. "I like hanging out with Peri."

"Yeah, Peri, not you," Lan laughed and shoved my shoulder playfully.

Ty-Ty, Q here! River suddenly piped up, his tail wagging, but then it dropped. Uh-oh. Him got dah grumps.

"Yeah, he's in a bit of a temper," Lan muttered, then grinned at me. "Well, beta, since you're higher ranking than me, looks like you're his opponent today. Go say hi."

"Any idea what set him off?" I grunted.

"Apparently, Lark wanted him to take her for a run this morning, but he told her no. That made Lark a little sad, and Q's tail has been in a knot ever since."

"Why didn't he just go for a run with her?" Grace asked.

"Doesn't want to take the slightest risk while those beta triplets are still visiting from Russia. I can't wait until they leave tomorrow!" Lan growled with a scowl. "Then again, if they keep up their antics, we might have only three dead bodies to load on their plane."

I nodded in agreement.

I did not like those triplets.

I did not like them one little bit.