2. Mother of a Morning

Peri Barlow

"Dammit."

I sighed, staring at the red spot on my underwear. Even though it was as regular as clockwork, I'd hoped my period wouldn't start today. Not only did I have to give a presentation in my least favorite class, protect my besties from their bullies during gym, and retake my test in English, I had to do it all while checking the back of my pants every five minutes!

"What a great Monday," I grumbled as I searched my bathroom cupboard for pads, then folded toilet paper into a thick wad when I couldn't find any. "I know I bought some yesterday! What the hell could have happened to them?!"

With my makeshift pad in place, I headed to Mom and Dad's room, hoping she had extras and that I wouldn't bleed through before I got there.

I was eleven when my real mom, Kelly, died. About nine months later, Dad and Alpha Shawn Black's widow, Genevieve, decided the best way to keep their kids, their packs, and their sanity intact was to take each other as chosen mates.

It was a rough transition. The Great Rocks and River Rapids packs combining was hard enough, but merging the Black and Barlow households was even tougher. Lots of arguing and crying marked the first few weeks, but everything slowly settled into place. The boys sorted out their pecking order and room arrangements, and thankfully, I didn't have to share a room with any of them.

Perks of being the only girl.

As for Dad and Evie, they sort of treated each other like roommates until one day out of the blue, they realized they were in love.

I didn't know what took them so long. I knew there was something between them the day they cried together as their mate marks finished fading. If that wasn't evidence enough, Dad built her a special 'hygiene' closet when her cycle restarted, and she trusted him to restore her father's vintage motorcycle, which he did perfectly.

Why all of my knucklehead brothers were surprised when they announced they were expecting a pup, I didn't know. While the boys rubbed their heads in confusion, I danced around and hugged them, happy for them and excited to have a baby in the family.

In hindsight, if I had known what William - and later Winston - would be like, I would have run away. They were as mischievous as a pair of leprechauns, point proven when I found them in the hallway, plastering my new pads all over Wesley's bedroom door.

"What are you doing?" I demanded, planting my fists on my hips.

"Put pane stickahs up fo' Wes," Winnie said, smiling at me.

"Because he likes airplanes so much," William added, also smiling.

"Those are not airplane stickers!" I hissed, marching over to see if there was anything worth salvaging. "How many times have I told you two not to go into my room without permission?"

Wesley's door opened, and he stepped into the hallway, took in the scene with a grave face, and then tsked at me.

The little fucker tsked!

At me!

"You should lock your door like I do, Sissy," he said, shaking his head. "Thank you for thinking of me, heathens, but ask permission before taking something, especially from Sissy's room."

Carefully stepping around the mess, Wes pulled his door closed and locked it, patted his baby brothers on the head, and trotted off.

"Argh!" I grabbed my hair in frustration.

"What a mattah, Sissy?" Winston asked, hugging my leg. "You sad we stole stickahs? William telled me to!"

"I did not!" William argued, hugging my other leg. "We decided together!"