Bonus Story - Posy's Babies - Aunt Willow

This vignette takes place nineteen years after Posy becomes luna of Five Fangs. (Ambrose, Bastian and Caspian are 13; Darius and Evander are 11; Felix, Gryphon, and Hadrian are 9; and Ivo and Jericho are 7.)

The rain poured outside, drumming softly against the windows. The Everleigh boys were scattered around the living room of the alpha house, enjoying a lazy family day. Ivo and Jericho were curled up with books, while Evander and Darius played a board game with Felix, Gryphon, and Hadrian. Ambrose, Bastian, and Caspian sat on the floor and watched a movie, leaning back against the sofa where Alpha Mason Price sat, as engrossed in the story on the TV was they were.

A thunderclap boomed outside, making the windows shudder, right as the movie ended. The oldest triplets stretched and, as Bash and Cas argued about what to watch next, Amby spun around to look at Mase. He knew his papa wasn't much of a talker, but he had a strange feeling that, for whatever reason, today would be different.

"Papa, would you tell us a story about Aunt Willow?" he asked.

The room went quiet for a moment. The boys all knew about Aunt Willow, Mase's twin sister who died in a shifter sickness long ago, but she was a mystery to them, a name spoken with reverence and a hint of sadness.

Mase hesitated, then nodded slowly.

"All right," he said, his eyes distant as if searching through old memories. "I'll tell you a story about how she could find trouble anywhere she went, but I think I might need to blame her best friend Olivia for this one."

"Livvy Bel Aire?" Flix asked, intrigued. "The same Livvy whose mate Atticus has that awesome horse farm?"

"Yes, that Olivia." Mason smiled. "Back then, she was Livvy Benson, and she and Willow were as thick as thieves. Don't let her fool you with her sweet smile—anytime she was with Willow, she could be quite the troublemaker."

"Did they ever get caught?" Cas tilted his head, curious.

"Oh, they did," Mase chuckled. "This story is about one of those times. Atticus had an older brother, Rowan, who also died in the sickness. Back then, though, when they were both alive and full of life, Willow had a bit of a crush on him, even though she'd never have admitted it to anyone but Livvy and me."

"Aunt Willow had a crush? Really?" Bash's eyes widened with interest.

"Oh, yes," Mase nodded. "I think she was sweet on Rowan because he was always up for an adventure. Anyway, shortly before we got our wolves, Willow decided she wanted to explore an old, supposedly haunted house at the edge of town. Everyone said it was off-limits, but that just made her want to go even more."

"What happened?" Dare asked, leaning in.

"Well, she convinced Livvy and Rowan to sneak out there with her—"

"Sounds like this Rowan guy fit right in with them," Amby snorted.

"Oh, yes. Plus, he would have done anything Willow asked him to," Mase chuckled. "Pretty sure he was just as sweet on her as she was on him. Anyway, once they got there, they heard all these strange noises coming from inside. Livvy and Rowan wanted to turn back, but Willow wouldn't hear of it. She convinced them to keep going. They tiptoed through that old house, determined to find out what was making those sounds. Finally, they found it—a raccoon had made its nest in one of the closets."

The boys laughed, and Flix exclaimed, "A raccoon?"

"A mama raccoon, with her babies." Mase nodded, chuckling. "And she was not happy to see them. She chased them right out of the house! They ran screaming all the way back home."

The boys burst into laughter at the image of their fearless aunt running from a raccoon.

"Did they get into trouble?" Gryph wanted to know.

"They sure did. Rowan's dad found out and told all the parents. Willow got grounded for a week, but she didn't care. She said it was worth it just to see the look on Rowan's face when that raccoon came after him."

"Sounds like something Pops would say if he was there," Van pointed out, which made everyone laugh.

"Do you think Aunt Willow and Rowan would have been mates, Papa?" H asked with big eyes.

"I do. So does Livvy."

Jericho, curled up next to Ivo, asked quietly, "Papa, did you miss her a lot?"

"Every day," he admitted, his expression softening as a shadow of sadness crept into his eyes. "But telling you these stories helps. It keeps her alive in my heart, and maybe now in yours, too. Willow would have loved you boys so much."

"And would have gotten into a lot of trouble with us!" Van chirped.

"Sounds like she would have led the way," Bash snorted.

"Oh, definitely," Mase agreed with a grin. "She and your pops got along like a house on fire, if that gives you any idea."

The boys all laughed at that, having heard many stories of Alpha Wyatt Black's mischief and trouble-making.

Posy, listening from the doorway, smiled gently.

"I think she'd be proud of the way you tell her stories, Mason."

"I hope so, little flower. She was one of a kind." He looked around at his sons. "I'd like you all to remember her for the amazing person she was."

And the boys nodded, a thoughtful quiet settling over them as the rain continued to fall outside.

###

This is a little video I made a while ago that shares some details about Willow at the end: